Jeep YJ spitting and sputtering, Loss of power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ spitting and sputtering, Loss of power

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Rapterlined
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ spitting and sputtering, Loss of power

okay first off let me say thanks to anyone who can help. also i know there is a search bar but i couldn't find one exactly what i needed. so my jeep has the inline 6 and 117,000 miles on it. For some reason it hardly EVER stars on the first turn. But also it seems to spit and sputter and loose power around 10 minutes after driving it. sometimes it will buck but its odd and very annoying. Ive already replaced the MAP sensor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, Fuel pressure regulater, and the ignition coil, crank shaft position, distributor cap. im running out of ideas so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Rapterlined is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm betting the O2 sensor. You may have replaced everything *but* the one part that actually needed it. Have you checked for error codes?

The big clue is that it only does it after running for a while -- the computer does not read the O2 sensor until its up to 185 degrees at the thermostat. If it starts reading the O2 sensor at this temperature, and gets a weird reading, it goes into a default mode.
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

one thing my jeep did was a distributor wire was sometimes contacting some other wire/metal pieces and shorting. but it would only occur while driving and if a bump hit it the right way and such, causing it to buck and jerk. it may be something as simple as that
89yjislanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a throttle position sensor to me
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Rapterlined
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the throttle position and o2 sensor, I also replaced the fuel pump and still still not running right
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You were about right with the O2 sensor. Check your manifold for loose/missing bolts, especially on the rear of the exhaust manifold near the firewall. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks, especially around the collector tubes.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Rapterlined
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I finally said screw it, I took it to a shop on Monday no info yet!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.