Jeep YJ round headlight conversion - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Perdido1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Jeep YJ round headlight conversion

Good morning! New to the forum and to Jeeps after a very long absence and I have many questions. This is a father-son project and my son prefers the round headlight look of the CJ and TJ. Our grill us in good condition, but both fenders are needing replacement and the hood ain't too great either! What's the simplest way to go about a project like this? I removed the grill and fenders this morning and that was about a 2 hour job since no fasteners were rusted tight (lucky me). I'm a very visual person and pictures would be great!
Thanks, Rut

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like you said, you toss the hood, fenders and grill, and you make the radiator, shroud and grill fit in the proper spot and then rewire all the things.

See: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/bo...-yj-into-a-cj/

Or: https://www.google.com/search?q=YJ+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Edit: Upon reflection, I guess you don't actually have to do a full CJ swap if you just dislike square headlights and don't mind welding. Technically you could modify the crap out of the YJ grill to give it round headlights. You'd need to cut the old headlight buckets out, and fill in the metal and adjust the grill slots nearest the headlight and then put round headlight buckets in. You'd lose some cooling.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.

Last edited by project_mercy; 07-21-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: welding is awesome!
post #3 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of good threads with good pics scattered throughout here. I don't have any links to them, but I lifted some pictures from two different builds. One that just cut out and swapped the CJ headlight area into the area from which the YJ lights were similarly cut out. Not too much filler sheet metal had to be welded in.

In the other, the whole CJ grill skin was removed from its frame then cut and shortened below the turn signals to fit onto a YJ grill frame. The backwards bend of the YJ grill was bent into the new CJ skin. And some sheet metal filler pieces were welded in around the gaps at the top corners.

I'm eventually going to do a conversion on mine. I have an extra YJ grill and a CJ grill. One of the above methods will be the way I go. Someday....

post #4 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

@DirtKar just did this, maybe he can shed a bit of light on it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOME ONE SHOULD BE BANNED.... Or go buy a JK.... Kidding, good luck

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #6 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
SOME ONE SHOULD BE BANNED.... Or go buy a JK.... Kidding, good luck
I stand by my excuse - my rebuilt title says 84 CJ (and there are 84 CJ parts on it) but the frame/tub/transmission/TC all say 89 YJ. Of course axles and other stuff span even more years as I have found out doing brakes and stuff.

So I'll go for it. And still have my YJ grill should I have to swap back. I know this is a serious subject... and I take the tongue in cheek slings and arrows in good fun. Like someone posted recently, it's still a YJ.

Now back to that plastic grill abomination...
NHfireLJ likes this.
post #7 of 71 Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's all of my cheat sheets. I used a CJ grille, fenders, hood and radiator. I relocated the power steering res over to the passenger side and made a bolt in bracket for the grille support out of 1/4"x2" steel. The radiator hoses had to be changed, a couple of universal bendy jobbers did the trick. Aside from those items it's pretty straight forward. PM me if you have any questions.

CJ front swap

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...s-pics-431224/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...thread-708391/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/bo...-yj-into-a-cj/

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ts=&gws_rd=ssl

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...to-yj-1161039/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ight-suck.html

95-99 Ford contour fan wiring
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...-swap-1164486/

Controller wiring
http://www.gearheaddiva.com/3031/how...an-controller/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #8 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Perdido1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
DirtKar,
Thanks for all the great information and I'll sit down with my son to see if he's up to it since this will be his Jeep. I restore British sports cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in my retirement and the construction of the CJ and YJ are not very different from those. I'm building this Jeep outside since I lost my shop last November along with all my tools, 2 restored cars and a ton of parts to a fire. That said I've found that a lot of the fasteners are metric and standard (at least not imperial, BSP, Whitworth, etc.) and I'm curious if that's the case for most Jeeps of this era. I've ordered a few catalogs and they are helpful, but I don't have a shop manual yet...what's a good one?
Thanks again, Rut
DirtKar likes this.
post #9 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dirtkar, did you have to go to the Contour fan for clearance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdido1
DirtKar, Thanks for all the great information and I'll sit down with my son to see if he's up to it since this will be his Jeep. I restore British sports cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in my retirement and the construction of the CJ and YJ are not very different from those. I'm building this Jeep outside since I lost my shop last November along with all my tools, 2 restored cars and a ton of parts to a fire. That said I've found that a lot of the fasteners are metric and standard (at least not imperial, BSP, Whitworth, etc.) and I'm curious if that's the case for most Jeeps of this era. I've ordered a few catalogs and they are helpful, but I don't have a shop manual yet...what's a good one? Thanks again, Rut
Yes, they did an excellent job blending inch and metric fasteners. So both wrench/socket variants are needed.

Good choice on the CJ front direction. The TJ nose/front has round headlights, too, sure, but ugly looking grill, awful marker lights, and unimaginative, ungrateful hood.

You don't really need the catalogs. IMHO. There's very little yuh need in them. But a lot of things to separate you from your money.

The Haynes or Chilton manual is OK for reference and basics. A factory service manual will be a good accompaniment for those, and far more good information.
If there's a rig I plan on keeping for a while, I tend to buy several used manuals for it from Amazon: a Haynes, a Chilton or Bentley, and a factory service manual if I can find it or download one electronically.

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

What fish said. Metric and imperial throughout. And the Haynes manual has some good info and some half truths and/or omissions - usually regarding the task you are ready to undertake. I have a FSM for my daughter's 2000 XJ, but for the most part my YJ is simple and basic enough that my experience over the past 50 years of wrenching gets me through. Oh, wait. And all the myriad questions I get answered on here.
post #12 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdido1 View Post
DirtKar,
Thanks for all the great information and I'll sit down with my son to see if he's up to it since this will be his Jeep. I restore British sports cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in my retirement and the construction of the CJ and YJ are not very different from those. I'm building this Jeep outside since I lost my shop last November along with all my tools, 2 restored cars and a ton of parts to a fire. That said I've found that a lot of the fasteners are metric and standard (at least not imperial, BSP, Whitworth, etc.) and I'm curious if that's the case for most Jeeps of this era. I've ordered a few catalogs and they are helpful, but I don't have a shop manual yet...what's a good one?
Thanks again, Rut
The '93 FSM seems to be elusive. At least a free one that is. There may be someone that has one here. I found a guy on a different forum, that has a '94 FSM that you can download. Not too much was changed between '93 and '94. PM me for the link.

If you want to pay for one, do a Google search, you'll find them anywhere from $10 to $60.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #13 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
The '93 FSM seems to be elusive. At least a free one that is. There may be someone that has one here. I found a guy on a different forum, that has a '94 FSM that you can download. Not too much was changed between '93 and '94. PM me for the link. If you want to pay for one, do a Google search, you'll find them anywhere from $10 to $60.
The electrical is actually the only difference that anyone will ever notice

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 12:32 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Dirtkar, did you have to go to the Contour fan for clearance?
No, I had about 4" clearance with the CJ radiator. When I attempted this a couple of years ago using the YJ radiator I didn't see near that much. I have a 1" body lift which I believe would throw the shroud off. I don't have a stock shroud to test that theory. I like the efans and the contour fan fits the CJ radiator like it was made for it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1590.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #15 of 71 Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For anything before 1990, you can pretty much always use the 1990 factory service manual which is available on the internet. I think it includes both peurgeot and AX-15 transmissions even though the 1990 did not have a Peurgeot.

For 1991-1995, the 1995 factory service manual which is available from redneckgarage's youtube page can be used almost exclusively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.