Jeep YJ Rear Axle Upgrade Options - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,838
For what you describe, a new axle probably not even needed. As fragile as D35's are made out to be, a few guys in my club wheel them and I've not seen one of them break. If it breaks, then upgrade or just fix.


1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 27 Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
calvynandhobbs
Senior Member
 
calvynandhobbs's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ledyard
Posts: 509
When I bought my YJ my plan was to put a 8.8 in it with stock 4.10 gears and find a 4.10 geared D30 for the front, but The Super 35 and matching D30 popped up and I jumped on it. Up to 35s this combo should last me a long time.

94 YJ - work in progress
calvynandhobbs is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Bravo1782
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coralville
Posts: 27
I'm running 33x12.5x15s...I've seen plenty of super 35 kits, and they're pricey, but will it fix the problems common to the c-clip D35? Which is the cheaper\better option? Upgrade D35 with d35 super kit, or get an 8.8\d44 and drop in a locker?
Bravo1782 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
8.8 with a locker. Hands down.

You've got to remember that even though a super 35 is significantly stronger than its stock counterpart, you've now hit a ceiling with where you can go with it. If you break something on a super 35, you can't throw money at it to make it stronger you can only replace it. So if a super 35 is as strong as a stock 8.8 and you're looking at upgrades down the line the choice is clear. Plus the money will be saved over the super kit by buying a ford axle and fitting and upgrading the differential yourself. There is a reason you see so many threads about swapping a Dana 35 to a ford 8.8. Look around the site and you'll find hundreds and not just in the Yj section but also in the TJ section and even outside the wrangler spectrum like xj and ZJ swaps.

You could do the entire axle swap sans locker for the cost of converting to disk brakes on your Dana 35.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
And one more thing: if you think that a c clip eliminator and disk brakes will get you off the trail with any less damage than c clips and drum brakes think again. I know it looks nice on paper but it isn't true.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
dukeryder
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boulder
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1782 View Post
I'm running 33x12.5x15s...I've seen plenty of super 35 kits, and they're pricey, but will it fix the problems common to the c-clip D35? Which is the cheaper\better option? Upgrade D35 with d35 super kit, or get an 8.8\d44 and drop in a locker?
Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Just because you've read on the internet that the D35 is weak? or have guys you wheeled with broken theirs? I live where there is some of the most hard core off roading that I've ever seen in my life, and I still see guys running Dana 35s with 33" tires (almost every lifted TJ; except Rubis, I see around here is on 33s and has a stock rear axle). From what I've seen the guys breaking stuff are doing some hard core trails, like stuff a stock Jeep couldn't dream of going or hammer on the throttle, (although some people claim the D35 can break from mall crawling).

All that being said, I went the 8.8 route. My YJ came with a 3.07 which after going to just 31s was geared way too tall for this altitude (even the 4.0 looses power at 8,000') and the steep hills around here. The 8.8 isn't an EASY swap, you need to be able to weld; I was lucky enough to find a local fab shop that swapped an 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and a LSD; and regeared the Dana 30 to match for $1,030. Even if I could set up gears on my own and weld, I couldn't have done it any cheaper and it was only $250 more than if I had just regeared the D35, so it was really a no brainer despite the 8.8 probably being a little overkill for my 2.5" lift and 31s.
dukeryder is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville
Posts: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Just because you've read on the internet that the D35 is weak? or have guys you wheeled with broken theirs? I live where there is some of the most hard core off roading that I've ever seen in my life, and I still see guys running Dana 35s with 33" tires (almost every lifted TJ; except Rubis, I see around here is on 33s and has a stock rear axle). From what I've seen the guys breaking stuff are doing some hard core trails, like stuff a stock Jeep couldn't dream of going or hammer on the throttle, (although some people claim the D35 can break from mall crawling).

All that being said, I went the 8.8 route. My YJ came with a 3.07 which after going to just 31s was geared way too tall for this altitude (even the 4.0 looses power at 8,000') and the steep hills around here. The 8.8 isn't an EASY swap, you need to be able to weld; I was lucky enough to find a local fab shop that swapped an 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and a LSD; and regeared the Dana 30 to match for $1,030. Even if I could set up gears on my own and weld, I couldn't have done it any cheaper and it was only $250 more than if I had just regeared the D35, so it was really a no brainer despite the 8.8 probably being a little overkill for my 2.5" lift and 31s.
I feel like that's not even a serious question. There is every reason to upgrade from the 35

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-spud-1218315/
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...te-up-1301614/
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ation-1417686/
RC vs BDS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...s-bds-1461555/
Ripper3494 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,988
Garage
The problem with the D35 c-clip eliminator is that it does nothing to fix the small diameter flexy axle tube. The flex in the tubes will cause lead to breakage of the spider gears unless you add a truss which is just throwing more money at a weak axle.

If someone wants to wheel on a D35 and they are easy on the gas I see no reason not to let it go until it breaks. But they had better be carrying spare shafts, tools and the knowlege of how to fix it on the trail. I have wasted far too many hours waiting around for Mr It-never-breaks.






.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM
bowtech
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mount Vernon
Posts: 87
I swapped out to an 8.8, upgraded front and rear to 4.88 gears and installed ARB locker. No regrets what so ever. I still run the D30 up front with Chrome molly shafts and eliminated the disconnect on the D30.
bowtech is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
I swapped out to an 8.8, upgraded front and rear to 4.88 gears and installed ARB locker. No regrets what so ever. I still run the D30 up front with Chrome molly shafts and eliminated the disconnect on the D30.
Sounds like a good jeep. You should fill in the profile so I can item et stalk your jeep.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Bravo1782
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coralville
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
I feel like that's not even a serious question. There is every reason to upgrade from the 35

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I think you nailed it. The biggest reason I want to upgrade is peace of mind. I want to know that I've invested as much as I reasonably can to get as tough a Jeep as humanly possible. I know that the D35 MIGHT hold up, but I feel like if I upgrade, I'll probably NEVER (fingers crossed) have to worry about this stuff in the future. Kinda the whole "buy the best and you only cry once" strategy.
Bravo1782 is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,838
That's why I did, plus the satisfaction of taking on a major project. I made mistakes along the way but I feel like I learned a lot and really boosted my confidence toward tackling other things.

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome