Jeep YJ Rear Axle Upgrade Options - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ Rear Axle Upgrade Options

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For what you describe, a new axle probably not even needed. As fragile as D35's are made out to be, a few guys in my club wheel them and I've not seen one of them break. If it breaks, then upgrade or just fix.

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my YJ my plan was to put a 8.8 in it with stock 4.10 gears and find a 4.10 geared D30 for the front, but The Super 35 and matching D30 popped up and I jumped on it. Up to 35s this combo should last me a long time.
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Bravo1782
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running 33x12.5x15s...I've seen plenty of super 35 kits, and they're pricey, but will it fix the problems common to the c-clip D35? Which is the cheaper\better option? Upgrade D35 with d35 super kit, or get an 8.8\d44 and drop in a locker?
Bravo1782 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 with a locker. Hands down.

You've got to remember that even though a super 35 is significantly stronger than its stock counterpart, you've now hit a ceiling with where you can go with it. If you break something on a super 35, you can't throw money at it to make it stronger you can only replace it. So if a super 35 is as strong as a stock 8.8 and you're looking at upgrades down the line the choice is clear. Plus the money will be saved over the super kit by buying a ford axle and fitting and upgrading the differential yourself. There is a reason you see so many threads about swapping a Dana 35 to a ford 8.8. Look around the site and you'll find hundreds and not just in the Yj section but also in the TJ section and even outside the wrangler spectrum like xj and ZJ swaps.

You could do the entire axle swap sans locker for the cost of converting to disk brakes on your Dana 35.
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

And one more thing: if you think that a c clip eliminator and disk brakes will get you off the trail with any less damage than c clips and drum brakes think again. I know it looks nice on paper but it isn't true.
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1782 View Post
I'm running 33x12.5x15s...I've seen plenty of super 35 kits, and they're pricey, but will it fix the problems common to the c-clip D35? Which is the cheaper\better option? Upgrade D35 with d35 super kit, or get an 8.8\d44 and drop in a locker?
Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Just because you've read on the internet that the D35 is weak? or have guys you wheeled with broken theirs? I live where there is some of the most hard core off roading that I've ever seen in my life, and I still see guys running Dana 35s with 33" tires (almost every lifted TJ; except Rubis, I see around here is on 33s and has a stock rear axle). From what I've seen the guys breaking stuff are doing some hard core trails, like stuff a stock Jeep couldn't dream of going or hammer on the throttle, (although some people claim the D35 can break from mall crawling).

All that being said, I went the 8.8 route. My YJ came with a 3.07 which after going to just 31s was geared way too tall for this altitude (even the 4.0 looses power at 8,000') and the steep hills around here. The 8.8 isn't an EASY swap, you need to be able to weld; I was lucky enough to find a local fab shop that swapped an 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and a LSD; and regeared the Dana 30 to match for $1,030. Even if I could set up gears on my own and weld, I couldn't have done it any cheaper and it was only $250 more than if I had just regeared the D35, so it was really a no brainer despite the 8.8 probably being a little overkill for my 2.5" lift and 31s.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Just because you've read on the internet that the D35 is weak? or have guys you wheeled with broken theirs? I live where there is some of the most hard core off roading that I've ever seen in my life, and I still see guys running Dana 35s with 33" tires (almost every lifted TJ; except Rubis, I see around here is on 33s and has a stock rear axle). From what I've seen the guys breaking stuff are doing some hard core trails, like stuff a stock Jeep couldn't dream of going or hammer on the throttle, (although some people claim the D35 can break from mall crawling).

All that being said, I went the 8.8 route. My YJ came with a 3.07 which after going to just 31s was geared way too tall for this altitude (even the 4.0 looses power at 8,000') and the steep hills around here. The 8.8 isn't an EASY swap, you need to be able to weld; I was lucky enough to find a local fab shop that swapped an 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and a LSD; and regeared the Dana 30 to match for $1,030. Even if I could set up gears on my own and weld, I couldn't have done it any cheaper and it was only $250 more than if I had just regeared the D35, so it was really a no brainer despite the 8.8 probably being a little overkill for my 2.5" lift and 31s.
I feel like that's not even a serious question. There is every reason to upgrade from the 35

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with the D35 c-clip eliminator is that it does nothing to fix the small diameter flexy axle tube. The flex in the tubes will cause lead to breakage of the spider gears unless you add a truss which is just throwing more money at a weak axle.

If someone wants to wheel on a D35 and they are easy on the gas I see no reason not to let it go until it breaks. But they had better be carrying spare shafts, tools and the knowlege of how to fix it on the trail. I have wasted far too many hours waiting around for Mr It-never-breaks.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
bowtech

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped out to an 8.8, upgraded front and rear to 4.88 gears and installed ARB locker. No regrets what so ever. I still run the D30 up front with Chrome molly shafts and eliminated the disconnect on the D30.
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
I swapped out to an 8.8, upgraded front and rear to 4.88 gears and installed ARB locker. No regrets what so ever. I still run the D30 up front with Chrome molly shafts and eliminated the disconnect on the D30.
Sounds like a good jeep. You should fill in the profile so I can item et stalk your jeep.
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
Bravo1782
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
I feel like that's not even a serious question. There is every reason to upgrade from the 35

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I think you nailed it. The biggest reason I want to upgrade is peace of mind. I want to know that I've invested as much as I reasonably can to get as tough a Jeep as humanly possible. I know that the D35 MIGHT hold up, but I feel like if I upgrade, I'll probably NEVER (fingers crossed) have to worry about this stuff in the future. Kinda the whole "buy the best and you only cry once" strategy.
Bravo1782 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's why I did, plus the satisfaction of taking on a major project. I made mistakes along the way but I feel like I learned a lot and really boosted my confidence toward tackling other things.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.