Jeep YJ Oil Leak - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
dylynclark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ Oil Leak

Is there anyway to actually STOP it from leaking? I've had the rear main seal replaced as well as all the other seals and it STILL leaks.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2015, 11:09 PM
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Autozone has a sale on oil right now...
post #3 of 9 Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest way to stop it from leaking is to put less in it.

Where is it leaking from? If you can't tell get some simple green and go to town on the engine, once it is factory spotless take it for a drive and look for oil. Mine mainly leaks into the air box, the little bit that leaks out of the oil cap dries on the valve cover before it can run down and drip, so at least it is self contained and does not leave spots.

Are you 100% it is leaking from the motor? The manual transmission takes engine oil, the transfer case takes automatic transmission fluid, and both axles take gear oil.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #4 of 9 Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 PM
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Valve cover. Last I checked you have to buy the valve cover to get the right seal.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list. www.mijc.org
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

+1 on valve cover, that's where mine leaks from. Hoping to take care of that soon.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2015, 09:54 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the Fel-Pro reusable rubber valve cover gasket is a worthy investment, as long as you combine that with maintenance on the PCV and/or orifice and vacuum lines.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
the Fel-Pro reusable rubber valve cover gasket is a worthy investment, as long as you combine that with maintenance on the PCV and/or orifice and vacuum lines.
+1 on mike134's advice.

If there is too much pressure inside that cover... it will blow out somewhere. Because our engines are not exactly straight and tilted to the rear (and its impossible to see back there) it will force itself out back there and you will never be the wiser without a 90* dentist mirror

(could be worse, these pressures have been known to blow that pressure and oil right onto your air filter). Since you gotta take the cover off - clean it up real nice... remove baffles and clean up nice. Make sure those gaskets are in tact and just get new valves and grommets. Not expensive and should be done if never done before.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Most likely, you have a PCV(CCV) issue. My 91 doesn't drip a drop since I replaced the valve cover with the good fel-pro rubber gasket, oil filler cap, and unplugged the CCV orifice.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #9 of 9 Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ditto on the above, fel-pro gasket, new oil fill cap and PCV system go through fixed my leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.