Jeep YJ, JD Blitz Black, and roll on paint job... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ, JD Blitz Black, and roll on paint job...

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Mules50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ, JD Blitz Black, and roll on paint job...

I bought my jeep round a year ago and the guy I bought it from was in process of repainting it. He ran into money troubles and had to sell it to me with just a coat of prime on it. Now that I am out of school for the summer, wanted to take a week and paint my jeep.

I want to paint it John Deere Blitz Black and I don't have the facilities or the money to spray it on so I am going to roll it on. I was looking for suggestions and tips from people who have painted their own jeeps and especially those who rolled it on.

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

Mules50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a thread I got from a quick search. It might help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...27/index2.html

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

While on the subject..anyone got a color chart of the available colors on the stock yjs? I want to paint my heap this summer but want to go with a stock color if possible
MDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWG View Post
While on the subject..anyone got a color chart of the available colors on the stock yjs? I want to paint my heap this summer but want to go with a stock color if possible
There are different color charts for different years of all Jeep products. I believe this one covers 1994 only IIRC...I've had it for a while and don't remember exactly.

Unread 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315

There are different color charts for different years of all Jeep products. I believe this one covers 1994 only IIRC...I've had it for a while and don't remember exactly.
Thanks this is what I was looking for, I think I'm goin to go from black to that Montego bay blue pearl...I like that deep looks almost black but not quite
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWG View Post
Thanks this is what I was looking for, I think I'm goin to go from black to that Montego bay blue pearl...I like that deep looks almost black but not quite
I like that color too. Be sure to post up some pics when you get it done!
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

rolledon.com

forum with some tips and tricks to putting this type of paint on. I'm going to attempt a rolled on job myself at the end of summer. From the research I've done you should try to use the Rustoleum "topside" paint. It has a UV protectant in it that the regulat "professional" grade does not.
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315

I like that color too. Be sure to post up some pics when you get it done!
I will gotta get a small airbrush kit from sears or something...i have a compressor, so I will more than likely use an airbrush instead of a roll on technique...found one place that carries the paint but just in rattle cans, found another website that carries it in quarts and gallons but its more expensive...we'll see I got rust spots and the speed stripes (still on from the factory) I'll post before and after pics on here
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely take pictures all during the process. It will be so worth it to ask questions and help others during the process. Get a 30$ spray gun from sears or walmart, mix your paint and paint thinner, wear a mask and be patient. Make sure your mock up paint booth is VERY well ventilated, both for safety and your paint drying.

And you can never prepare the surface enough--block sand block sand block sand. You will hate it, and your hand will hurt, the sanding stage will take a long time, but damn your paint will look good. Get some buddies or brothers to help.
goAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goAF
Definitely take pictures all during the process. It will be so worth it to ask questions and help others during the process. Get a 30$ spray gun from sears or walmart, mix your paint and paint thinner, wear a mask and be patient. Make sure your mock up paint booth is VERY well ventilated, both for safety and your paint drying.

And you can never prepare the surface enough--block sand block sand block sand. You will hate it, and your hand will hurt, the sanding stage will take a long time, but damn your paint will look good. Get some buddies or brothers to help.
Yeah I was goin to go with a power belt sander, and finish with just hand sanding it...i know its goin to take time but I want it to look good so we shall see, how bad could out go ya know?
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
klrstew
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I want to tackle the paint on mine as well sometime. I found this vid on you tube. His paint job turned out awesome! Check it out!

klrstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.