Jeep YJ hard top restoration (write-up with lots of pics!) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ hard top restoration (write-up with lots of pics!)

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #46
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Yeah, it's been awhile, so I don't have the link on hand. That being said, I know they make two different types. One with the defroster tabs, and one without.
Well that's good to know. I think the hardtop has a rear defroster(has the lines on the back window). It's not original to my Jeep so I was never sure which to get. Thanks for the help.

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #47
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check your dash for the switch. It will be next to your fog light and rear wiper switches in that little panel. If you have the dash switch you're good to go.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #48
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound
Check your dash for the switch. It will be next to your fog light and rear wiper switches in that little panel. If you have the dash switch you're good to go.
Not if my Jeep had a soft top from factory. That location is blank on mine.
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check out frost fighter. It's a DIY defroster kit. You can buy the switch and the wiring from them and wire it to your hardtop.
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #50
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound
Check out frost fighter. It's a DIY defroster kit. You can buy the switch and the wiring from them and wire it to your hardtop.
Good to know. I was just going to wire it up myself with a timer relay. Winter is almost done here though so ill do it next winter
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #51
extremebiker
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How much sanding did you do to prep the hardtop before painting it and lining it. This build thread is incredible though. Thank you for your hard work.
extremebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebiker
How much sanding did you do to prep the hardtop before painting it and lining it. This build thread is incredible though. Thank you for your hard work.
No a whole lot. I like the textured surface on the outside. Just enough to scuff it so the primer would have something to sink into and bond with. Same thing for the inside.

I've since sold this Jeep, but the hardtop was one of the big selling points. I further sealed the lip on the windshield with this dark brown putty from Lowes that's used to seal around windows. It did a great job and all but silenced the wind on the road. The liner also did a great job at reinforcing the top itself and insulating outside sound. After it was lined the hardtop would no reverberate on the highway at high speeds.

Glad I'm able to help. This was a really fun project that I had to put some effort into as most of these parts are no longer in production. I can't recommend going with as much stainless steel hardware as possible too. All of the screws and bolts on mine were rotten when I got the hardtop. Jeep obviously didn't do a good job sourcing corrosion resistant hardware for their hardtops as every one I've seen has some kind if rust going on.

This is what it looked like when I sold it. It held up great after 3 years of use. I'm sure it's holding up fine as I really took my time making sure everything was done right with the best materials.

image-4274373762.jpg
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #53
winning
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...rpaneldone.jpg
Did you put a gasket or weatherstripping between the fiberglass piece at the bottom of the liftgate and the glass? What about the piece on the inside of the glass at the bottom that bolts to the outside piece? I'm restoring mine and your write up has been very helpful. Mine had a foam gasket that was soaking wet and the square brackets that are threaded that fit inside the fiberglass piece were almost completely disintegrated. I've replaced almost every bracket and bolt with stainless or aluminum.
winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #54
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winning
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...rpaneldone.jpg
Did you put a gasket or weatherstripping between the fiberglass piece at the bottom of the liftgate and the glass? What about the piece on the inside of the glass at the bottom that bolts to the outside piece? I'm restoring mine and your write up has been very helpful. Mine had a foam gasket that was soaking wet and the square brackets that are threaded that fit inside the fiberglass piece were almost completely disintegrated. I've replaced almost every bracket and bolt with stainless or aluminum.
Yeah, those gaskets for the back are impossible to find. They would probably cost an arm and a leg if you found them online. That being said, I went to Pep Boys and got the 1" wide grey foam weatherstripping. Then I cut it to cover the back side of the fiberglass panels on each side.

I also used this putty-like weather stripping on the base of the posts to fill in around the holes in the rear glass. I never had any issues with leaks or moisture. It worked great and sealed tight when everything was tightened down.

Here is a photo of the weatherstripping I'm talking about:
image-3359424228.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.