Jeep YJ A/C blowing warm air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ A/C blowing warm air

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
TyWebb04
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ A/C blowing warm air

I turned on the A/C today (rainy and muggy) and the air luke warm. I don't use th AC much, but i did have it on only a week or so ago and it was ice cold. All of a sudden it's not cold at all. The blower and everything seems to be functioning correctly. I did notice the fan making a weird noise when i engaged the knob that controls the A/C temperature.

Could it just need to be recharged? If so, where can i get R12? I'm pretty sure that is what it uses since it's a 1990.....

TyWebb04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
stratons_yj
2001 WJ 

Somebody correct if I'm wrong but you can only get R12 if you are licensed in A/C.

But you could buy a kit to convert it to R134a...They are pretty cheap, it just threads on to the R12 low side port
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Turn the temp to the right is full on. With the fan running. Is the compressor kicking in?

You can get what is called Freeze 12 for an r12 system.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
TyWebb04
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like the compressor is on, but hard to tell. If i start with the temp knob all the way to the left when i turn it just a little to the right i can hear something other than the fan turn on, I'm assuming that is the A/C compressor. However, i did notice that it was making a loud noise and seemed rough when i turned it on yesterday... Could i have a bad A/C compressor? Typically if you A/C runs out of refridgerant does it go out slowly or all of a sudden?
TyWebb04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Open the hood to your jeep while its running with the A/C on and see if the compressor engages and turns. If it does, look in the sight glass on top of the drier (pass. side below head light). If you see bubbles you're low on freon. If the compressor doesn't kick on its either locked up or low on freon.

R12 is hard to come by these days, even harder when you aren't licensed to buy it. Last time I bought it, it was about $40 for a 12 oz. can. I'm going to swap over to R134a soon. If you do decide to do this, buy a new drier, and replace as many O-rings as you can. I'm also going to buy a new expansion valve because I think mine was freezing up before it went out.

Yes, you can use Freeze 12 but I think that stuff is a little dangerous. I have some cans at the house but I haven't used it. My dad actually bought some.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A freind of mine is a ac tech. He just put 134 in on top of the r12. My ac worked fine.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its $20 to take the test and get EPA Certified.....
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
A freind of mine is a ac tech. He just put 134 in on top of the r12. My ac worked fine.
You are not suppose to mix the two but Hey if it works great. Just do not expect it to last.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.