jeep yj boomerang shackles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep yj boomerang shackles?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

jeep yj boomerang shackles?

this maybe a noob question but i currently have a 4" lift from RC on my jeep which is almost 2months old. thinking about trying to gain more clearance by buying a set of RC 1" boomerang shackles. now i have been hearing on the forum that aftermarket shackles may cause premature spring sag. i may still buy some shackles but is this true will they compromise the spring strenght? oh with people running lift shackles(like 1 inch) with a 4" lift of any brand RC, procomp, skyjacker etc. do you experience driveline vibs w/ the setup? i knw every jeep behaves different but just want to knw. thanks

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
98NVXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

In my experience, the extended shackle did increase the rate at witch the spring sagged, but only slightly. As far as compromising the spring strength I did not notice anything. I could still tow my 2 Jet Skis with the Jeep fully loaded or play in the rocks just fine. I am currently running the 4.5" RC on my XJ with a 1" or 2" shackle(can't remember anymore) and I don't feel that there is any harm in doing so. And like you said every jeep behaves different with different setups, but I have not had any vibes because of the shackle. It is more overall hight and pinion angle. Also the YJ vs. XJ plays a part in the vibes department so you may get them.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Excessively tall shackle lifts can trash your springs. Usually, people recommend 1" or less. So you should be good. Personally i like to keep them around a half inch lift, ie 1" longer. Not into the Count Shackula look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98NVXJ View Post
In my experience, the extended shackle did increase the rate at witch the spring sagged, but only slightly. As far as compromising the spring strength I did not notice anything. I could still tow my 2 Jet Skis with the Jeep fully loaded or play in the rocks just fine. I am currently running the 4.5" RC on my XJ with a 1" or 2" shackle(can't remember anymore) and I don't feel that there is any harm in doing so. And like you said every jeep behaves different with different setups, but I have not had any vibes because of the shackle. It is more overall hight and pinion angle. Also the YJ vs. XJ plays a part in the vibes department so you may get them.
Another thing to consider is they can affect his steering. Again not usually an issue on 1" or less shackle lifts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Going with 1" over shackles will do just that... put your Jeep 1" higher. This will change your d-line pinion angle. This may or may not cause vibes. It depends on how your d-line is set up currently. Most likely an adjustment will need to be made by using shims, a MM lift, or re-setting the pinion angle via the perch.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i have the 4inch rc lift and i inch boom shackles and vibration wise i did feel a difference but only when slowing down hard. After it hits 30 and below u can feel the vibs but just normal driving and cruising are just fine not really anything different
[B]90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more [/B]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]
Check out my build thread[/SIZE][/COLOR] [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90yj-getting-there-1155268/[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up [/COLOR][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/[/URL]
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If anything I wouldn't go more than 3/4" lift shackles, even 1/2". It screws up alot of your driveline angles. I just don't like the look of taller shackles either.
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your rear shackles are not binding on the rear cross member booms will do nothing to increase travel.
If the shackle is hitting the rear cross member you can knotch the cross member to gain more clearance.
Booms are not some fantastic will make your rig into a unstoppable mighty machine as some would tell you. They were designed to clear the rear cross member and customers have found that they can help prevent spring inversion on the front also by blocking the backwards travel of the shackle.

Dwayne
Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker
If your rear shackles are not binding on the rear cross member booms will do nothing to increase travel.
If the shackle is hitting the rear cross member you can knotch the cross member to gain more clearance.
Booms are not some fantastic will make your rig into a unstoppable mighty machine as some would tell you. They were designed to clear the rear cross member and customers have found that they can help prevent spring inversion on the front also by blocking the backwards travel of the shackle.

Dwayne
Dwayne
You forgot to mention that they look cool.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
You forgot to mention that they look cool.
Umm yea. I do not drop hard earned cash on shizzle that sounds or looks cool, I drop cash on stuff that has a positive impact on capability or performance.

Dwayne
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

would revolvers be a better idea?
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Umm yea. I do not drop hard earned cash on shizzle that sounds or looks cool, I drop cash on stuff that has a positive impact on capability or performance.

Dwayne
I tell people I have greasable boomerang shackles because they looks cool all the time...Most people don't know what you mean when you start talking about shackle inversion and crossmember this and that.

Lighten up, Francis
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My mother called me Francis once....only ONCE
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just to echo all the comments here-
I run 3/4" lift shackles and did notice an increase in ride quality- mostly because the PO had torqued down the shackles with the hand of God tighness and when I put in the booms I went with 60 ft/lbs.

I also think they look cool. I wanted a bit more clearance so 3/4" shackles fit the bill and booms look cooler than straight, plus they were just as easy to make (I did the DIY boomerang thing because I have a CNC controlled plasma table at work).

~Kevin
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well i finally pulled the trigger on a set of 4 RC 1" boom shackles. my current rocker height is alittle over 23" but only cause i have a hardtop and the 4.0L engine which really weighs the springs. so hope the shackles help out. thanks for the advice though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.