jeep yj 4wd popping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep yj 4wd popping

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
bmiller3392
1991 YJ Wrangler 

jeep yj 4wd popping

I have a 1991 jeep wrangler that the 4wheel drive has been popping when I drive straight in 4wd and when I turn it will occasionally pop completely out of 4wd the forks got stuck this winter and I got them unstuck but ever since I fixed that this has been happening

so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help

bmiller3392 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
bmiller3392
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
bmiller3392
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump*
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It seems like either the vacuum system is erratic or the fork actuator is bad.

First try running with straight vacuum to the 4wd side and see if it still pops in and out. If not, then the problem is in the vacuum switch or the hoses to it. Truthfully you can leave that vacuum engaged permanently (mine has been left engaged for about the past 90K miles).

If the forks are dropping out, you can rebuild the actuator, replace with a manual lock, or simply physically lock the fork in place.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
JGRIM
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the vacuum actuator to me also. I recently had the same issue. I replaced mine with a brand new "defective" actuator which only prolonged the agony until I figured out what was going on. I ultimately chose to physically lock the shift fork into place. If you choose to go this route, do not tow it unless you have installed a TJ shift mode selector in the transfer case. Jerry
JGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRIM View Post
Sounds like the vacuum actuator to me also. I recently had the same issue. I replaced mine with a brand new "defective" actuator which only prolonged the agony until I figured out what was going on. I ultimately chose to physically lock the shift fork into place. If you choose to go this route, do not tow it unless you have installed a TJ shift mode selector in the transfer case. Jerry
Actually I would disagree with that warning. As long as your TC is in neutral it should be just the same (at the front axle) as 2wd.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Popping at the differential or the transfer case?

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
JGRIM
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Actually I would disagree with that warning. As long as your TC is in neutral it should be just the same (at the front axle) as 2wd.
Not true. When you shift a YJ transfer case into neutral, the front and rear drive shafts remain locked together. If the front axle shift fork has also been locked into the engaged position, you will be towing it as if it is in 4wd. Jerry
JGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.