Jeep YJ 4.2L Wiring question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ 4.2L Wiring question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ 4.2L Wiring question.

Hello all, I am in the process of putting in a complete wiring harness in my Jeep since my old one decided to give up the ghost.

My question lies in the picture below. Where does this batch of wires go and what are they for? It seems to plug into something behind the glove box. I have no idea what this is for and I don't want to go cutting and screwing things up. Thanks!

jeep-wiring.jpg  
BigJ367 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That bunch cables is what goes to the Computer/ECU. If you've done the Nutter bypass, you can just chop it off, follow the wires and get rid of them. If not, you need to keep them.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I personally have not done the nutter bypass but I took the ECU out when I installed my HEI distributer. So I could take it out either way right?
Unread 05-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, take it out. The easiest way is to reach under the dash and cut it with a cable cutter or heavy pair of scissors and push it through the hole. Then take it apart and follow the wires and take them out.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Only a hand full of wires need to be re-used with a harness install. You must keep the wiper switch to wiper motor harness. If you are using an HEI every thing in the engine compartment can come out. I even got rid of my Starter relay.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok great. Thanks for the help! I found out my problem is in my steering column. There is a short in the ignition wiring up in there. My connectors that plug into the top of the column are fused together. :astonished: I need to take off the column housing but I have no idea how. It might even require me taking out the entire column. I think I know how to do that, its just the column housing that I don't know how to take apart. Any ideas?
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I think I have found my problem. It looks like the ignition switch (the one on the top of the column) is bad. Below is the switch itself and the connector(s) that plug into it. Do any of you guys know what pins do what? I think 2 on the far right are for actually starting the vehicle but what about the rest? I am going to replace the whole switch but I would hate it if I burnt it up again due to not truly fixing the problem.
img_6607.jpg   img_6549.jpg   img_6605.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What brand harness are you using? Most have that plug already installed.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 05-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those wires are so cooked I cant tell whats what. You need to definitely figure out what shorted before you reassemble. Look at the color of the wires on the back to figure out the circuits. Download the factory manual here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-1414928/
Post 11
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
What brand harness are you using? Most have that plug already installed.
I'm taking out the entire harness. It was the factory one. Replacing it with a complete painless kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Those wires are so cooked I cant tell whats what. You need to definitely figure out what shorted before you reassemble. Look at the color of the wires on the back to figure out the circuits. Download the factory manual here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-1414928/
Post 11

Yeah, I have a new switch on order. Hopefully it will be in by the end of the week. New switch, new harness hopefully means I fixed the problem but I want to be sure before I burn another one up... Thanks for the link! I'll look it up and see what plug does what.
Unread Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Complete painless kit will come set up for that ignition switch..
Unread Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #12
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
Complete painless kit will come set up for that ignition switch..
Yeah, I've got it all set up to plug in. Hoping that with a complete kit and new switch it will clear up the short. I couldn't find anything else wrong on the column.
Unread Today, 08:01 AM   #13
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I've run into something else. I have the switch installed but when I went to test it with the key it doesn't always want to return to "run".

For example, I'll turn the key to "start" or crank it but it doesn't always want to return to "run". It's like it's sticky. I've cleaned out all the grease and reapplied oil throughout the arm and lever system. I'm pretty sure I have the spring set correctly. Is there another spring or something else I have missed? Attached is a pic of how it's set up now. It is in the "locked" position.
Unread Today, 08:39 AM   #14
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the pic.
image.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.