jeep yj 4.0 passenger oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep yj 4.0 passenger oil leak

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

jeep yj 4.0 passenger oil leak

yjers i need some assistance on this issue. recently my 93 yj has been leaking oil pretty badly on the pass. side of engine. ok i looked under it and the only indication to my reasons is that the starter is basically drenched in oil. it has a spot of oil under the starter on tyhe ground too so i assume my oil sending unit is going out cause theres oil all over it too. i see no leaking around the valve cover pan so i marked that out. is this a common problem on these 4.0L. im mechanically incline but havent worked on vehicles for sometime. if this description i gave you all is correct, is it easy to replace? this is my DD too. thanks

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

almost everyones valve cover leaks at some point, go get one they r like 5 bucs. I think theres 8 bolts if i remember correctly and clean the surface very well before putting it back on as well as torque it down correctly. I would go that route and clean up the whole area so then u can drive around a little and see if that was it or u have a leak sumwhere else in that vicinity.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Probably in order that you will need to check
valve cover
oil sending unit
dipstick tube (little o ring where it inserts to the block)

or if you are like me with a mechanical fuel pump removed and a blockoff plate, check that.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

got it fixed! it was the oil sending unit. this is a great site and thanks yjers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.