jeep wrangler a/c issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wrangler a/c issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
ramsey6199
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jeep wrangler a/c issues

1990 wrangler 4.2 Laredo
Turn on a/c and it makes horrible clicking and scratching noises. A/c does actually blow semi cold after a few minutes but the noise is quite loud. Can't seem to hear it from outside near engine bay but definitely when you turn the ac knob on. Any ideas what this is, really looking to get air condition in the near future. This also was present on my 95 as well.

ramsey6199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

compressor is going bad, might be some of the internal bearings or the clutch itself on the compressor

I would start looking into a new one

it makes a sound when the ac is turned on because the a/c compressor is engaging as opposed to not being engaged when the a/c is off thus preventing the noise from occurring

Edit- so I misread, you can't hear it from outside or near the engine bay ? then I suspect the blower motor going bad, basically the little fan inside the cabin which blows air at you, it should be making this noise no matter if the a/c or heat is on actually
Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just guessing because I cant hear it, but if you cant hear it outside then its probably the blower motor or something in your blower.
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
ramsey6199
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I definitely can not hear it from outside. Just looked at the blower motors. All the ones I see are blower motors but under the description say no a/c. Any particular place where you guys buy yours.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought mine from here: http://www.jeepair.com/

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it is coming from inside then I would guess blower motor - there is a dedicated one for the A/C unit in your jeep. Try turning the "air" knob on (all the way to 4) with the "temp" knob turned all the way down to 0 and see if the noise is present. If it is your blower is going bad or something (leaves, debris) has made it's way into there. If it sounds normal until you move the "temp" knob off of 0 and then it gets noisy then the problem is most likely in your A/C compressor as it doesn't engage until you turn the temp knob to the right. You can verify this when the jeep isn't running by turning the knob to 0 and back - if it is working properly you will hear a click when begin to turn it right from the 0 position.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
ramsey6199
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When fan is turned on with the a/c off it makes the noise. So this would be the a/c blower?
So these would be the items I need, Correct?
http://www.jeepair.com/air-condition...-motor-178.php
http://www.jeepair.com/air-condition...wheel-1271.php
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine had a horrible noise coming from it until it burned out. I only needed to replace the blower motor. My wheel was still in good shape. But yes the parts you listed are what you may need but the wheel may be unnecessary. The A/C unit is only held on by 4 screws so before you order just pull it down and see whats broken and then order the parts you need.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
ramsey6199
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys. Been a big help.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Drop the blower motor (on the driverside). Try it with motor out. You may want to take the squirrel cage off first. Then you will know for sure.
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
ramsey6199
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How do you get to it?
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are just 4 screws just under the edge of the dash that hold it in place. Undo those screws and it will come down. All will be exposed as the whole unit comes down. You can leave the freon lines attached as to not lose your coolant, they will (should, mine always have) flex and allow you to set the unit on the floor/trans hump of the Jeep. From there you can remove the blower motor/wheel/etc as needed.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.