Jeep won't turn over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't turn over

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't turn over

Hey guys,

I've got an 89 Wrangler with the 4.2 with 193K on it. I was cruising around today when I went through a massive puddle, as I generally would. I drove another 6 miles, pulled into a spot in a parking lot when the Jeep stalled out. I let it sit for a while, which usually does the trick, but to no avail. My girlfriend and I were able to push it out of the lot to roll it down a steep hill, but I wasn't able to pop start it (which I have plenty of practice with). My thought was that it needed gas, so I put 2 gallons in from a gas can, still nothing. I called AAA and got it towed home. Four hours later, still nothing. It cranks and cranks but won't start up. Any ideas?

Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get your distributor wet?
That would explain it not working even if you have tried roll starting it.

I did something similar like that offroading a while ago.

Anyway, I popped the cap off the distributor and soaked it in wd40.
Fixed my problem.

-SOLD MY JEEP :(-
2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
plyguitar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
BigDumbBear
1978 CJ7 

Sounds like an issue with water in a connector or a blown fuse from a short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteTJ View Post
Haha, that's not a safety. That's a danger-y.
BigDumbBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Check to see if the engine is getting fuel. I'm not familiar with carbs, so I'm not sure as to how to do it.

Brandon
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would definatly say pull your distributor cap off and make sure its bone dry in there... even a little moisture can effect your startup... i've sean people with cracked caps have a humid day mess with their ignition system.

Start with inspection of the cap, then go from there, but I would put money on that dist. cap. Fuel "shouldn't" have been effected by the puddle... That doesnt mean that the puddle and fuel problem could be unreleated but coincidental, so check what can directly be effected by the puddle before you move further...

Hate to mention this... but check your air filter for water... I hightly doubt any water got to it what-so-ever but better safe than sorry.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix85182 View Post
It cranks and cranks but won't start up. Any ideas?
when its cranking does the tach move at all? or stay at the bottom...
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.