Jeep won't turn off! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't turn off!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It idles fine normaly, just when you shut off the ignition that it starts getting rough.

'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
jipjip

to the OP, you have a bad ignition switch, or key cylinder.....it's not switching power off to the ignition and fuel pump, so the engine stays running... most of the time the key cylinder goes bad first.... especially in jeeps this old. mine had the same problem, replaced the key cylinder, problem solved.
good luck
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #18
Bobbywolf

have you done any work to your alternator? If you bypass the resistive wiring on terminal #1 of your alternator plug, your jeep wont shut off either because of the back voltage. Long shot I know, but it happened to me this weekend when troubleshooting a charging problem.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #19
jeezer93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundclearance
It idles fine normaly, just when you shut off the ignition that it starts getting rough.
I would still check the ignition switch. I don't think it is dieseling if the guages still work when the ignition is turned off. I have seen ign switches go bad and do exactly as you describe. In a perfect world it might go bad and give you full battery voltage when the key is off and run smooth. However, I would lean towards it being bad and not giving full battery voltage. Engine's can run like crap when the computer, fuel pump etc... don't receive good power. Good luck and let us know what you find.
jeezer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
duztytrue
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah my 90 yj is doing the same thing. I changed the ignition lock, ignition switch, i checked the rod all is fine there too! I am at a loss.
duztytrue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

zombies are among us!!

this died 7 years ago... make a new thread

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
this died 7 years ago... make a new thread
He did.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...nning-1764697/

Apparently he didn't like our suggestions.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
duztytrue
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am trying the suggestions it just takes me while to respond sorry
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
duztytrue
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got it just checked all connections and must of had a loose one.
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it. But I don't believe a loose connection would cause the engine to run-on. Something was shorted somewhere. And if you didn't actually find it, it may come back.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.