JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Jeep won't turn off! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/jeep-wont-turn-off-247380/)

Pitman99505 03-08-2006 11:39 PM

Jeep won't turn off!

My jeep won't turn off. I turn the key off and it keeps running. I also keep replacing starters. Anyone have any clue as to what is going on with it? BTW, it is a 91 wrangler. Thanks everyone

94YJ H.O. 03-09-2006 12:16 AM

1st thing could be that you broke the lower actuator arm for the ignition rod. It will allow you to turn the Jeep on, but when you turn it the ignition rod will not pull back on the arm to shut off the motor. Most of them are made out of cheap pot metal and breakage is pretty common. At least this what happened on my Fullsize Bronco.

2nd is your timing is way off and the motor is dieseling because the plugs are staying hot enough to keep burning fuel. Check your timing.

Bob_R 03-09-2006 12:23 AM

Can't do anything with timing as the computer does it all. Sounds more like the switch to me too.

94YJ H.O. 03-09-2006 12:44 AM

Oh, right, it's a '91. I thought it said it was '90. Anyway, disregard the 2nd option in that post :D

1993yjgreen 03-09-2006 12:51 AM

hey dude, thats awesome...come back when you cant get it started!

Just kidding, I agree with what the other guys have suggested. The quality of the metal especially if you do moderate wheeling can take a beating and warp.

Eclipzed98 03-09-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94YJ H.O.
1st thing could be that you broke the lower actuator arm for the ignition rod. It will allow you to turn the Jeep on, but when you turn it the ignition rod will not pull back on the arm to shut off the motor. Most of them are made out of cheap pot metal and breakage is pretty common. At least this what happened on my Fullsize Bronco.

i agree i had the same thing happen to my bronco, and it was a pain to replace

jeezer93 03-10-2006 01:46 AM

When you turn the key to off do the guages still work? If so I would lean towards the ignition switch being bad or one of the rods not connected as mentioned. goodluck

jeepnguns 03-10-2006 10:44 AM

I would say your ignition switch is shot and not cutting power when you turn teh key off. This could be your starter problem also, since the starter may be staying engauged to long after the engine is started.

GroundClearance 03-15-2006 03:35 PM

Any luck finding the problem, mine seems to be doing it now. I turn off the ignition, and the Jeep starts to die, but then starts back up..sorta, it runs like crap, the guages and lights stay on, but are very dim and change with the idle, I have to stick it in a high gear to kill the engine, any ideas? Since its a 88 could it be the timing?

Ezrider_42101 03-15-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundclearance
Any luck finding the problem, mine seems to be doing it now. I turn off the ignition, and the Jeep starts to die, but then starts back up..sorta, it runs like crap, the guages and lights stay on, but are very dim and change with the idle, I have to stick it in a high gear to kill the engine, any ideas? Since its a 88 could it be the timing?

in an 88 seems how its carbed and it starts to die but doesnt, your disling, could be casued by excessive carbon biuld up timing to hot of plugs your timing or having your idel set too high

jbars 03-15-2006 05:28 PM

My 94 4.0 HO does the same thing and has for quite some time. I don't have starter problems at all, it's just that when I shut the ignition off, it sets and Idles. It is not dieseling, I am familiar with dieseleng, it just idles very smoothly until it takes a notion to stop. I too have eased the clutch out to kill it when I got tired waiting for it to quit running. I also noticed if I accelerate while it is do it, it dies immediately. It's had me stumped for quite a while. I assume I have to pull the steering wheel to change the ignition switch??? Is that a bear to do??? thanks:brickwall

GroundClearance 03-15-2006 05:30 PM

Mine doesnt idle smooth at all, very rough.

jbars 03-15-2006 05:32 PM

O.K., that's different than my problem, your is dieseling when you shut the key off,that's either advanced timing, or fuel too rich. good luck

GroundClearance 03-15-2006 05:40 PM

Alright, thanks.

Why J? 03-15-2006 05:45 PM

rough idle, and diesling. i'll bet it's the egr valve.

The time now is 09:05 PM.