JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Jeep wont stop running (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/jeep-wont-stop-running-1764697/)

duztytrue 11-06-2013 02:08 PM

Jeep wont stop running

We got my Jeep to start we changed the ignition module. Now it will not stop running. We tried working the ignition module by hand to take out the tumbler and rod aspect. still will not kill the motor ANY help would be appreciated

bpounds 11-06-2013 02:36 PM

The simplest thing would be a frozen ignition switch, which is separate from the ignition lock which you were working with. Try unplugging the harness from the switch.

If you've got a frozen switch, that would explain the burned up ICM.

duztytrue 11-06-2013 02:48 PM

We ignition switch on the column behind the dash. And we are working by hand right now and no matter what position it is in the jeep wont stop runninh

bpounds 11-06-2013 03:56 PM

Unplug the switch

Old4X 11-06-2013 05:56 PM

Or unplug the dizzy harness.

superj 11-06-2013 06:47 PM

Or cover inlet so no air goes inTo engine

bpounds 11-08-2013 01:28 PM

Did you unplug the ignition switch as I suggested?

If you unplug that switch and the jeep dies, then you know the issue is in that switch.

If you unplug that switch and the jeep does NOT die, then you know there is a short somewhere else that is keeping power to the ignition.

As others suggested, there are plenty of ways to kill the engine. The trick is not to kill the engine, but to find out what component is causing the problem.

Don't assume that just because you changed a component, that the new one is good.

If you don't try the things that are suggested, and keep us in the loop, we can't help you get to the bottom of your problem.

Mark05059 11-08-2013 03:17 PM

ground the alternator frame to the battery

mudsweatNgearz 11-08-2013 04:39 PM

Consider yourself lucky. Most YJs wont start running.

duztytrue 11-08-2013 05:04 PM

ok unplugged the switch with jeep running it did not stop. I will try the alternator tomorrow. I know there or lots of ways to make the engine die but that does not keep the constand drain of the battery stop. I really want to fix this right and not just jerry rig it to work.

psyco31 11-08-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz
Consider yourself lucky. Most YJs wont start running.

If I wasn't so busy beating my head against a wall cause this happened to me this morning I would laugh. Oh for my yj to always start. Now that would be nice

psyco31 11-08-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duztytrue
We got my Jeep to start we changed the ignition module. Now it will not stop running. We tried working the ignition module by hand to take out the tumbler and rod aspect. still will not kill the motor ANY help would be appreciated

What started the problem off. Was anything going on before the icm went out. Did u have any issues like this or do any upgrades with the wiring( add a radio or melt wires or disconnect anything for a fix??

duztytrue 11-08-2013 10:19 PM

well I got the YJ in a trade and it was not running when I bought it. I had to evict a rat that had torn some wires up i am pretty sure I got them all but is very likely I missed some. I was hoping it would be something like the switch but as I am finding out it could be a wide variety of things.

psyco31 11-08-2013 10:56 PM

I would go through the wires again and make sure a wire didn't get miss spliced.

Que89YJ 11-11-2013 10:09 AM

Easy fix. You have a starter solinoid on the firewall. Did you "repair" any of those wires? Also by any chance did you repair/replace wires on the starter?

The time now is 10:11 PM.