jeep wont stay running, now wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wont stay running, now wont start

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
89General
1989 YJ Wrangler 

jeep wont stay running, now wont start

i have had a 89 wrangler 5 speedfor about 2 months now, fixed a few things here and there. and yesterday it started puttin along slow and wouldnt accelerate when i was in gear. it would start to stall out when i put in nuetral at a stop. today i went to try to change the oil and couldnt even get it out of my neighborhood without stalling it 3 times. it sounds like something with the fuel but i cannot figure it out. any ideas? ive read a couple things but it doesnt seem right.

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the codes real quick, see if I can find something there. I then would for spark in all the cylinders. Then I would pressure test the fuel line. Basically spark, fuel, timing.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
89General
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i was thinking with maybe the fuel, im gettin towed to the shop tomorrow to mess with it so well see.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
rgpemt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 90 with the 4.2 and have suffered a lot of issues that are similar sounding. If you have a 4.2, let me know and i'll drop what I have hoping to help! Good luck
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be alot of different things. Air, fuel and spark are all needed in the right ratios at the right time to have everything run smooth. The list of things that could cause the problem you are experiencing is long. Some could be engine specific.

Common issues between the two engines that could cause hesitation and stalling are: dirty fuel filter, bad/worn/improperly gapped spark plugs, worn/fouled distributor cap/rotor, faulty spark plug wires, bad ignition coil, bad fuel pump. I'd check these components first.

I recently developed idle and stalling issues that were multifaceted in their cause: air leak at the carb, dirty carb, fouled spark plugs gapped too large, old plug wires, fouled distributor cap and rotor, exhaust leak at the muffler. My distributor cap was not really worn, but as it was a OEM style cap it had devoloped quite a bit of oxidation on the terminals that was affecting the delivery of spark to the plugs and causing me to stall out. Replacing the fuel filter did not seem to help in my case, but I ended up with a new one anyways as part of the basic tune-up. Each little repair made it run a little better, but only once I had taken care of all of these things did the idle return to normal without any missing or stalling. Your mileage may vary.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd check the MAP sensor.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.