Jeep Wont start, No Fuel, Pump not working. Help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Wont start, No Fuel, Pump not working. Help.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
bringbackphish
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wont start, No Fuel, Pump not working. Help.

Ok, my gas guage has been off since i got the jeep. Recently when parked slightly at an angle the jeep doesnt start. Today the jeep stalled when coming to a stop. Now it is not getting any gas, the fuel pump doesnt sound like it is on. Is there a relay that I need to check, Fuses.? Any ideas? Do i need a whole new fuel pump assembly. Thanks, Rob

bringbackphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
24vtd
2010 JK Wrangler 

there is a relay by the battery tray i would start there i just replaced my electric fuel pump today
24vtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Classicboss1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the ground wire from the fuel pump to the frame, too much rust or corrosion and it will stop the fuel pump from turning on, I learned the hard way. I would hit a bump or stop fast and I would be stranded, I found out that the ground going to the frame was bad( after I bought a new fuel pump) Replaced the ground wire and all is well. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Classicboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
bringbackphish
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just went out and took another look. The Relays next to the battery tray are not clicking to give the orange wire the 12 volts to power the fuel pump, the pump works when it is given 12 volts, all grounds are good. The relay works in the top position to distrubt the 12 v, but in the bottom set it does not give the 12 v to all the wires. Will a new really just fix it? Does anyone know what the top relay set is for. Thanks
bringbackphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Radiohead1231
1990 YJ Wrangler 

take the relay off and give pole 85 a ground and pole 86 12V. if it clicks then the relay is fine and the relay is just not being triggered. poles 85 and 86 switch on your relay....the top pole 87 is whats going to be sent through the bottom pole which is 30 when 85, and 86 are energized. You could also just pop out a relay that you know works like for your headlights or something and plug it in to see if it clicks over. Also im not positive but i know there is a wire on the fuel pump that is only on for couple seconds before the car is on and then when you start the car it stays on i believe. So u may need to someone to check the relays for you while u turn on the key the first few seconds.
If that makes any sense.
Radiohead1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

also check your fusible links on the starter relay solenoid on the firewall. I had one of those blow and the jeep would turn over but not crank. Because of no fuel because of no power to the relays.

If you go with a new relay both the ASD and fuel pump relays r the same. And r around $6 apiece
The fusible link is around $3

I had a stealership look at it when that happened a long time ago and they replaced the fuel pump and it still wouldn't crank. I found the $3 fusible link blown after I towed it home and $300 to replace pump
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.