Jeep won't start - no clicking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't start - no clicking noise

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't start - no clicking noise

So i noticed that my jeep seemed to be having some trouble starting the last couple of days. It would crank over but kind of hesitate for a crank or two before it would catch and start. Today I went to eat lunch and came back out and now it won't start at all. No clicking noise nothing. But I do have power. I could turn on the radio etc. The battery is new so I am doubting that it is responsible. (i replaced it about 5 months ago)
I checked the cables and i did have some corrosion on my positive cable. I had the wire brush with me so I took the cables off and cleaned everything. Put them back on and nothing.
I am thinking that it is my starter solenoid but I did replace it when i first got the jeep about 5 years ago. Seems kinda soon to die but not impossible i guess. The only part I have not replaced since i got the jeep is the alternator.
I am going to take a crack at replacing the starter in the parking lot and seeing if i can get it going before I break down and tow it. Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else thinks I might be on the wrong track.
thanks for the help!

95', 4.0, 4" Rusty Lift, 33" Pro Comp AT's, Quick Release II Mirror, Pavement ends flip-top, Alpine deck, bazooka amp, sony 10" sub.

My Jeep
rrclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Get under the jeep with a screwdriver and jump the starter out. See if it cranks. If not then your starter is bad. ( as long as your 100% sure your battery is charged ) If it's not then it's prob your alternator. You can take both to Autozone and they will bench test them. In theory anyway. They told me my alt was good however it was not. They also told me a bad battery was good? WOuldnt start i put a different battery in and fired right up. He said voltage is low but battery is good. Sure but it never held voltage! It is what it is sometimes it's better to try and just test yourself.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I had a co-worker drive me to auto-zone and I grabbed a new starter. Then I crawled under my jeep in the Panera Bread parking lot in my work clothes and changed it out. Sure enough it started right up.
Home with a beer in my hand as i write this.
gotta love the parking lot repair job.

95', 4.0, 4" Rusty Lift, 33" Pro Comp AT's, Quick Release II Mirror, Pavement ends flip-top, Alpine deck, bazooka amp, sony 10" sub.

My Jeep
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

lol awesome glad it all worked out
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
jbuckley

Jeep won't start

I'm having a similar problem. 1995 Cherokee Sport. When I turn the ignition I get dash lights, radio,etc... no clicking, no sound. Is there a way I can test the solenoid or starter myself? I'm kind of stuck until I figure it out. I've got a parts place just down the road and feel semi confident that I could swap it out for a new one. Thanks for any help.
jbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

jbuckley your new here so welcome. In the future dont hijack threads. Start a new one with your question. We'll let this one slide lol

To answer your question, take a screwdriver and tap the side of the starter with the handle. Dont hit it to hard just a few good taps. If will sometimes work a few more starts out of it. If that doesnt work swap the starter. They arent overly expensive and 99% of the time thats the problem. If not it sux but you now have piece of mind that your possibly factory installed starter is new and shouldnt give you any problems for years to come.
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckley View Post
I'm having a similar problem. 1995 Cherokee Sport. When I turn the ignition I get dash lights, radio,etc... no clicking, no sound. Is there a way I can test the solenoid or starter myself? I'm kind of stuck until I figure it out. I've got a parts place just down the road and feel semi confident that I could swap it out for a new one. Thanks for any help.
Very easy to replace. All you need are some sockets. Disconnect the battery then remove the cables from the solenoid. There are two. There is a 3rd one as well but it is attached to the starter itself.
The starter is held on by two bolts. One in the front and one in the back. Just unscrew and drop out the starter. If you are unsure if it is the problem you can have it tested after you take it out at an autozone or similar location. Install is reverse of the removal. Just make sure you line up the teeth with the flywheel when you put it in. (sounds harder then it is. it should line up naturally) It literally took me about 20 minutes.
Good luck. Let me know if you need more help.

My Jeep
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
jbuckley

sorry & thanks

Sorry about the faux pas, won't happen again (after this). Big thanks for the quick help!
jbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Bsjeep
1986 CJ7 

I am having a similar problem. I was at the local DQ drive thru. The person taking my order could not hear me. Go figure. I went to start it back up. It would crank but not start. It boosted fine. I came home and tried to start it again no luck. I boosted it again and it started back up. Left it running unloaded for an hour wouldn't start up. I put my battery charger on it and it said it was charged. It has been raining. When i went to take the battery off i got a grounded the wrench to the frame and i got a spark. Is this a battery issue or do I have something bigger?
Bsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.