jeep won't start need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep won't start need help

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

jeep won't start need help

I need help with my Jeep it cranks but won't start. It's a 94yj with 2.5 5speed only mod is remove air box and replace with cold air intake, this was done many years ago. Yesterday on the way home from work at highway speed the motor stumbled and almost quick a couple of times then it recovered and seemed to be fine for the rest of the drive home which is about a 25 mile trip each way. I knew that the o2 sensor needed replace via codes from check earlier in the week. So I changed the o2 sensor and fired up the heep and it ran for about a minute and shut down, and now it will crank but not start. There is fuel at the rail and from what I can tell there is no spark.
From my search here every says cps but I don't have a one around and no one has one in stock. It is my dd and need it to get to work is there any other cps compatible

Others said computer, which I have a spare, change it and same thing. So went back to original and now I can not get any codes to see what the heck is going on I am stumped any help would be great and deeply appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

CPS, coil or ICM.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks ill check getting cold out there. no garage to work in now
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would check for spark as far as you can to eliminate some sensors. So check for spark at the distributor, then coming out of the coil, then going into the coil. Chances are it's somewhere in there. If there is no spark going to the coil then chances are its the CPS. Definitely trouble shoot the electric before you go randomly replacing stuff.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice I will have wait for daylight now
and you are right I don't want to put anymore money into this yj I have another one that I have rebuilt and almost ready for the road.

Thanks Jim
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are in Sarnia you can get a crank position sensor. Hell, I could probably throw one across the Blue Water to you. I dont think that is what is going on, at least not now. If you arent getting any codes at all; that means no 12,33, or 55 when you check using the key method, then you need to run this threads checks:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/
If you arent getting codes you have probably got a blown fuse. This thread should help.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link I am willing to try anything. The thing is that I have a spare computer and have changed it and still no start, so l will have to check for power lose somewhere.

Thanks Jim
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The post walks you through power and ground checks. Follow the post. Sentinel made one of the best electrical post ever. Read it and post back what you find.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The post walks you through power and ground checks. Follow the post. Sentinel made one of the best electrical post ever. Read it and post back what you find.
Thanks and I will when get some day light no garage.

Unread 10-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A easy quick check for cps is to unplug it for a minute. The plug it back it. If she starts your cps is bad.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and check for fault codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

up date

I know how to get the cel codes from the jeep from help from the forum when I first got my jeep, but thanks anyway. That being said, when I tried to check for codes all I get is a solid cel no codes at all. What's up with that, always been able to get codes.
Next after following Sentinal02's test procedures using an analog meter . I get voltage on number 1, and no voltage on fuse number 4 the orange 40 amp fuse, but I have voltage at the fuse box dome light and Ign-Lps, I have not checked the ignition switch yet, but if I am reading it right something is screwy or I made a mistake somewhere.
Just a little more info, at the power distribution centre the only fuse that has power with or without the key is number 1

Thanks Jim
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have power on pins 3&9 on the ecu with the key on?
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just got home from work and it is too dark out side now I will check tomorrow after work and post findings then.
Thank you for your help I am getting frustrated but then again that's part of owning an older jeep. lol

Thanks Jim
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I checked it today when got home from work and there is no power there.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.