jeep wont start - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wont start

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Keep us posted.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #62
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Keep us posted.
Definetly. We can all learn a bit more each time.
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #63
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Ok. The street fire wireing is the same as the msd6al i have.
On my cj i have a resister wire that feeds the coil so i have to bypass that with the msd little red wire that turns it on. I assume you have a resistor wire also? I plan on extending that wire to tap into the red wire that presently feeds the duraspark icm so that i get full 12 volt feed. Everything else is pretty cut and dried.
I'm not sure if I have a resistor wire. The wires from my horseshoe connector are yellow and green. To do it like you are I need to figure out which wire was feeding power to the ICM? There isn't a red wire connected to my ICM. What would be a easy way to figure out which wire I need?

I'll definitely keep updating. You guys are amazing with everything you know! I'm sure I'll have more questions for you also.
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #64
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also the connector from the cdi to coil do they slide over the stubs? Or do I need to cut and splice them into the old horseshoe connector?
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #65
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Someone can correct me if wrong so.....

There should only be two plugs going to you ICM. One has four wires that feed your dizzy/coil like i described before. The other plug has two wires that come from your ignition on your column. If i remember right, the red wire is 12 volts in start and run, the white wire is 12 volts in run only. To hook your msd up you would use the red wire.
Disconnect the two wire plug to your icm, tape over them to keep dirt/water out.
Dont worry about the four wire plug because you disconnect it at your coil and dizzy. Tape over it also.
Just follow the msd instructions then for the correct dizzy. Mine has a motorcraft dizzy with trigger wheel inside it so i was able to get an adapter plug to connect right to dizzy plug.
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #66
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen
Also the connector from the cdi to coil do they slide over the stubs? Or do I need to cut and splice them into the old horseshoe connector?
I think they can slide over the studs. I installed the horseshoe connector when i did TR. but i used wire connectors on it so that the msd will just connect in after i unhook the old wires from the horseshoe.
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #67
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Someone can correct me if wrong so.....

There should only be two plugs going to you ICM. One has four wires that feed your dizzy/coil like i described before. The other plug has two wires that come from your ignition on your column. If i remember right, the red wire is 12 volts in start and run, the white wire is 12 volts in run only. To hook your msd up you would use the red wire.
Disconnect the two wire plug to your icm, tape over them to keep dirt/water out.
Dont worry about the four wire plug because you disconnect it at your coil and dizzy. Tape over it also.
Just follow the msd instructions then for the correct dizzy. Mine has a motorcraft dizzy with trigger wheel inside it so i was able to get an adapter plug to connect right to dizzy plug.
The one that is suppose to have 4 wires only has 3. So we just found the hardest part if this install. To find the red start and run wire!!
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #68
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Your icm has a 2 wire connector also?
A red and a white?
The red should be the wire, you can put a tester on it, with key on will read 12 volts.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #69
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your icm has a 2 wire connector also?
A red and a white?
The red should be the wire, you can put a tester on it, with key on will read 12 volts.
2 wire yellow and green. Yellow reads 12.2v. Assuming that is my wire? So the red wire to the yellow. Do I splice in to it near the 2 wire connector or the yellow wire that is on the horse shoe?

Edit: other than the red, grey for tach and power everything is hooked up.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #70
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Finished installing it. I went into the yellow wire right before the ICM. Still no start. My coil will be at the store in an hour so let's hope that is the key.

With ignition on, there is no spark from the coil.
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #71
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Finished installing it. I went into the yellow wire right before the ICM. Still no start. My coil will be at the store in an hour so let's hope that is the key.

If the yellow gave you 12 volts key on, that should be it. Does msd instructions have trouble shooting tips for the wires at coil?
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #72
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:

If the yellow has 12v key on, that should be it.
Did you cut one of the wire loops for 6 cyl set up?
Page 9 of the instructions show how to test for spark.
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the yellow gave you 12 volts key on, that should be it. Does msd instructions have trouble shooting tips for the wires at coil?
Not sure. I just removed my old coil. This thing is filthy. And dented in the bottom. There was also a wire screwed down behind the bracket I'm guessing a ground that is covered in crap as well. Going to clean it all up for when I install the new coil.

Oh and I bought the blaster high vibration coil p/n 8222. Was that a good choice?
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #74
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the yellow has 12v key on, that should be it.
Did you cut one of the wire loops for 6 cyl set up?
Page 9 of the instructions show how to test for spark.
Yes I cut the wire per instructions for 6 cylinder.

I'm assuming I'll need to install the diodes to prevent run on.

I'll go through the no spark check real quick.

Edit: I'm going to wait until I have my new coil. If still won't start I will then troubleshoot.
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #75
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Yes it looks good for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.