jeep wont start - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wont start

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

From what i read, a 1990 4.2 with a carb does not have a crank sensor.

T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #47
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also a quick question on the ground. The ground I spliced into the black wire connected to the distributor. Does it just need to be from the wire coming from the ICM to the new ground and not connected to the distributor? Or Wire from ICM connected to the new ground and distributor(this is the way I have it)?

Edit: Also lets say I put in a cdi module, and new coil. If I still have no spark after that, where should I be looking for a problem at? That is my biggest fear, spending the money for that and it isn't even the problem.

Edit: Sorry keep sneaking edits in here as I read problems other people had.

Could the ignition fuse be blown? I'm trying to search which fuse it is and where it is located, but just in case one of you knows before I find it I figured no hurt in asking.
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen
Also a quick question on the ground. The ground I spliced into the black wire connected to the distributor. Does it just need to be from the wire coming from the ICM to the new ground and not connected to the distributor? Or Wire from ICM connected to the new ground and distributor(this is the way I have it)?

Edit: Also lets say I put in a cdi module, and new coil. If I still have no spark after that, where should I be looking for a problem at? That is my biggest fear, spending the money for that and it isn't even the problem.
Your ground sounds ok as long as the dizzy/icm ground still there also.

Thats why i was saying test each component instead of spending money to replace, try to track down which part is defective. If you replace the coil and icm and still doesnt work, then its in the wiring supplying power, signals to turn on or a ground.
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you run a new ground wire off of the black distributor wire to a good ground?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #50
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Your ground sounds ok as long as the dizzy/icm ground still there also.

Thats why i was saying test each component instead of spending money to replace, try to track down which part is defective. If you replace the coil and icm and still doesnt work, then its in the wiring supplying power, signals to turn on or a ground.
I'm starting from the beginning of the Ignition coil primary circuit.

Doing as it says I use my engine as a ground. Not sure which wire is positive. There is a yellow wire on the left, and a green wire with white stripe on the right. The yellow tested 5.84, the green 1.16.

Edit: From the picture it looks like the left side is the positive, 6v +- .5v so looks like it is good. Moving on to next step then I'll update.
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #51
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Did you run a new ground wire off of the black distributor wire to a good ground?
To where a wire from the negative battery terminal is connected to a metal plate on the firewall by the 4wd indicator light.
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Step 2 of the ignition coil primary circuit.

Cranking while have the multimeter grounded the the negative battery terminal and the positive side on the yellow plug it reads out 5.94v. Battery voltage checked to 12.74v
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #53
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to find the starter solenoid I-terminal is says to look for in Step 3. I found the starter bottom passenger side of the engine, but there isn't any I-terminal on it, and the only wire that goes from it that isn't the red battery wire or a ground on itself goes up to something on the firewall near the battery tray that has what looks like a bunch of different wires connected. Can you provide any insight?
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #54
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I is the ignition terminal I think.
1989-starterrelay.jpg  
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #55
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Does your chiltons show you a picture for clarification?
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #56
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

image-4002307892.jpg
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

That is a picture of 1990 starter solenoid
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #58
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I found it. All the connectors look good. Sorry I haven't replied. I found a ride to the store the get the ICM tested. They couldn't do it so I went ahead and bought a cdi module and had the msd blaster coil shipped to the store. I'm going to try to hook up the cdi to see if it will start. If it doesn't I will try the coil when I get it in a couple of hours. Then if it still doesn't work I'll have eliminated 2 things and know where to work from.

If you have any advice for installing this thing it'd be appreciated.
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #59
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

I will have to read the instructions for the street fire. The msd6 i know by heart.
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #60
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Ok. The street fire wireing is the same as the msd6al i have.
On my cj i have a resister wire that feeds the coil so i have to bypass that with the msd little red wire that turns it on. I assume you have a resistor wire also? I plan on extending that wire to tap into the red wire that presently feeds the duraspark icm so that i get full 12 volt feed. Everything else is pretty cut and dried.
T-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.