jeep wont start - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wont start

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen
Doing the sensor and control check picture. Step 1. Can't get spark. Go to step 5. Assuming I have it facing right. The bottom left plug reads 1.1 ohms on 2k setting.
Chart 3, step 5, is checking for continuity of ground if I read it right. Notice it says to check grounds on right side?

image-2823855672.jpg

This is what a nuttered cj looks like, not sure how it relates to a 1990.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Chart 3, step 5, is checking for continuity of ground if I read it right. Notice it says to check grounds on right side?

Attachment 559930

This is what a nuttered cj looks like, not sure how it relates to a 1990.

Mine is essentially the same.

Yeah saw that. I might have done the wrong plug if it wants me to check for grounds. The black wire is a ground before the dizzy. Doing the black wire on the plug to the ICM reads 0.01 ohms.
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #33
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The picture says that it should spark from the wire connected to the coil grounded to the engine block with ignition just on. Is this true or does it need to be cranking?

Tried it the first way against the block and with a screwdriver in the boot. No spark.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
The picture says that it should spark from the wire connected to the coil grounded to the engine block with ignition just on. Is this true or does it need to be cranking?

Tried it the first way against the block and with a screwdriver in the boot. No spark.
Any YJ electrical techs here?
It days with it in the on position. Other tests show to do things while cranking, so you would go to step 5 like you did.
At this point im thinking it is your icm, though dont know why it just went out unless something specific happened when you changed dizzy out.
My CJ will be in shop tonight when i install the msd, so far, does your system parts appear to match the drawings ive given you?

T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you added the grounds after the swap did you ground the distributor? You have power at the ICM with ignition on. The question is if it is a control or spark issue. You can test the output of both pretty easy. You did fail the coil test if I read 4BTgait test for resistance. You measure resistance across the power wires and it should be a few ohms. You then measure from the coil output wire and it should be 8k. (Horseshoe thing is ohms or resistance) . Most parts stores will have a tester in the store for the ICM. The other end on the distributor you can hook up to the output from the distributor that is suppose to ground the coil. You can turn the crank over by hand and you should see the wire ground and unground by using your meter on the wire and chasis ground with the other lead.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any YJ electrical techs here?
It days with it in the on position. Other tests show to do things while cranking, so you would go to step 5 like you did.
At this point im thinking it is your icm, though dont know why it just went out unless something specific happened when you changed dizzy out.
My CJ will be in shop tonight when i install the msd, so far, does your system parts appear to match the drawings ive given you?

It seems the same.

I'm trying to find a ride up to the parts store to see if they will check the ICM. I am debating buying the msd street fire module. From what I read the ICM goes out frequently for most people and the Chinese replacements suck.

Only thing I'm not sure of it coil since my local stores don't have the msd blaster 2 in stock and my stock tach won't work. Can I run no tach until I get a aftermarket tach?
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
When you added the grounds after the swap did you ground the distributor?.
I spliced into the black wire going to the distributor connector right before the plug. Attached it to where a wire from the negative battery terminal was screwed into the firewall. Near where the 4wd indicator is.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My multimeter is a Meterman 30xr. I'm going to find a instruction manual to learn how to properly work this thing for the tests I need to run. I don't want to waste your time if I can't test properly.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #39
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

It seems the same.

I'm trying to find a ride up to the parts store to see if they will check the ICM. I am debating buying the msd street fire module. From what I read the ICM goes out frequently for most people and the Chinese replacements suck.

Only thing I'm not sure of it coil since my local stores don't have the msd blaster 2 in stock and my stock tach won't work. Can I run no tach until I get a aftermarket tach?
My original Duraspark still works good after 30 years. Typically it is the after market that fail a lot. Mine will stay in place along with wiring as a backup unit to the MSD.
If there isnt much difference in price between street fire and msd 6 series, i would do the 6 series.

You dont have to have a tach, no issues if not working.

T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My original Duraspark still works good after 30 years. Typically it is the after market that fail a lot. Mine will stay in place along with wiring as a backup unit to the MSD.
If there isnt much difference in price between street fire and msd 6 series, i would do the 6 series.

You dont have to have a tach, no issues if not working.

$30 price difference. My local stores keep the street fire in stock where as the 6 series has to be ordered. MSD blaster 2 has to be ordered also. Are you installing your module yourself? Are they hard to do?

I've been searching and read that "Crank Sensor"? can cause no spark issues, would that be something that can randomly go out after what I did?
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #41
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

I have no idea about the crank sensor, i dont have one.
Yes im installing it myself. Pretty straight forward.
My msd had to be ordered, delivered in 24 hours.
I was told just now on CJ forum your system is like mine so the fsm pages work.
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #42
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jcashen you aren't wasting anyones time to ask a question. The multimeter is a great tool but at first it can look a little confusing. Go to youtube and watch the videos. I wasn't meaning to slam you with the comment. There are some real good videos to watch and do be afraid to ask questions.

Abbreviations and Symbols
A
Ampere (unit of current)
DH or H
Data Hold (ie display freeze)
~
Alternating Current (AC)
- - -
Direct Current (DC)
Dwell
Duty per Cycle (shown as degrees)
%Duty
Duty per Cycle (shown as a percentage)

Ohm (unit of resistance)
Hz%
*Hertz or *Duty Cycle percentage
V
Volts
Hz
Hertz (unit of frequency)
H
Henry (unit of inductance) see “DH”
F
Farad (unit of capacitance)
Lx
Inductance
Cx
Capacitance - see “F”
hFE
DC current Gain (of transistor)
*Audible Continuity (buzzer)

*Diode
RH
RH (Range Hold)
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ohms resistance
- - - DC Volts

These are the only 2 you need to worry about for now.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

^ x2

Always ask questions.
Next tool once you get this fixed is a vacuum gauge.
T-5
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jcashen you aren't wasting anyones time to ask a question. The multimeter is a great tool but at first it can look a little confusing. Go to youtube and watch the videos. I wasn't meaning to slam you with the comment. There are some real good videos to watch and do be afraid to ask questions.

Abbreviations and Symbols
A
Ampere (unit of current)
DH or H
Data Hold (ie display freeze)
~
Alternating Current (AC)
- - -
Direct Current (DC)
Dwell
Duty per Cycle (shown as degrees)
%Duty
Duty per Cycle (shown as a percentage)

Ohm (unit of resistance)
Hz%
*Hertz or *Duty Cycle percentage
V
Volts
Hz
Hertz (unit of frequency)
H
Henry (unit of inductance) see “DH”
F
Farad (unit of capacitance)
Lx
Inductance
Cx
Capacitance - see “F”
hFE
DC current Gain (of transistor)
*Audible Continuity (buzzer)

*Diode
RH
RH (Range Hold)
That makes it amazingly easy for me to understand!

Quote:
ohms resistance
- - - DC Volts

These are the only 2 you need to worry about for now.
Alright. I have ohms 200, 2k, 20k, 200k, 2m, 20m. DC volts it has 200m, 2, 20, 200, 600.

Now that I have a better understand of how to use a multimeter should I go back and do the tests that fourbtgait linked?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.