jeep wont go after clutch/tranny rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep wont go after clutch/tranny rebuild

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

jeep wont go after clutch/tranny rebuild

92 2.5 with ax5. pulled tranny and transfer case and had mechanic put in a rebuild kit in the ax5. while out i put in a new rear main seal and a new clutch and slave. put it back together and it starts up fine but when i disengage the clutch, the jeep bogs down and dies. the best way to describe it is that it feels like the wheels are all locked in place and wont let the jeep roll. also with the transmission in neutral, when i let out on the clutch it bogs down and dies, like its still in gear. it feels like a clutch issue. any thoughts?

Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like something's wrong with the transmission, as in its in two gears at the same time
jhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When you put the transmision back in did you have it in nuetral or in gear? If you had it in nuetral you could have shifted a shift fork locking up two gears. I bet if you pulled the transmision back out you will now find you can not shift it into any of the gears. AX5 tranys do this. Transmission must me in 1st or 3rd when removed and installed the same way. Shifter housing must be installed while transmission is in nuetral. Heres a link http://www.diystew.com/wp-content/up...3/ax5Trans.pdf
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You will have to pull it out anyhow now and realign the shift forks. the link I posted will tell you how. Good luck
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I removed tranny (Again!) and loosened the rear cover. As soon as I did that it was possible to spin the input shaft freely and it seemed to shift ok. I reassembled and reinstalled and 1st-4th work great but now I cant shift into 5th or Reverse????? WTH?
Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
JeepProblems

2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey man im having a similar issue. when i put the case on it, nothing will spin!! i was expiramenting and found out that if i loosen the input shaft retainer it will spin. almost like theres is too much pressure pushing on the shaft so it just binds up. i had to replace the 1st gear, inner race and needle bearing and the company that i got it from sent me a wrong one. fine. got another and am having the same issue! thinking its the inner race thats too long because both gears came with the same race and when i press on the bearing then 5th gear, there is not enough room for the snap ring. im guessing this clearance is causing everything to bind up.
JeepProblems is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.