jeep won't start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Cadetvette87
1989 YJ Wrangler 

jeep won't start

ok, so I seem to have a bit of an electrical problem. My jeep wasn't starting (before the battery died) and my battery was completely shot. So I went ahead and installed a new starter and a new battery yesterday. When I turned the key on I got electrical power and all was fine. As soon as I turned the key to start everything shut-off. Now I don't even get electrical power at all. I can't even turn my lights on. I took the battery back to the store. They tested it and the battery is good. I am not an electrical guy at all so I really need some help on this one. Thanks!

She never wears a top, she likes to get dirty, and she always lets me get inside...a jeep is the perfect women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a crossed wire to me... I'm no electrician tho... check all your fuses as well

Its a Jeep thing....

My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Outlaw

I second the motion . . .
post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 PM
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What other Electrical items do you have?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clean or replace your battery cables.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
outlawjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

second the battery cables
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 PM
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Whats up with all the outlaw guys just seconding things.. >.>

Its a Jeep thing....

My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..

post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You are experiencing a high voltage drop under load. Most likely cause (as mentioned above) is a broken or corroded battery cable and/or connections at the battery, starter, grounds, or starter relay.

If your cables are original to the Jeep, toss then, they are more than 20 years old and should be replaced. They break down internally due to corrosion of both the cabling itself and where the connectors attach to the copper cables.

418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.