Jeep will not start/run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep will not start/run

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 08-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep will not start/run

The Jeep was running fine then the other day I jump in it and it fires up then rpms drop steadily until it dies. Now when it does fire the rpms go up to about 1000 then it drops and shuts off. I have replaced the MAP and TPS sensor and nothing has changed. At one point I tried starting the Jeep without the MAP sensor plugged in the Jeep would start but idle very rough, if I hit the accelerator it would die. One time while just letting it idle rough all of a sudden it went up to about 2000rpm and dropped jump up again then dropped until it dies. for the most part I cannot even get it to start now. At times with the ignition turned it is firing and trying to start but as soon as you let go of the ignition it dies. I am at a loss to what is going on and how to fix it.

Unread 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know this generic but have you ruled out the simple stuff like the dist. cap and rotor and maybe even the coil and the coil plug? also are you getting a CEL? if so have you checked to see what code it is throwing?
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Whats your fuel pressure look like? Should be about 31 PSI.

Only other things that come to mind would be the IAC valve and the cam position sensor - since the cam sensor tells it when to fire, it can mess with the timing. And you know how changing the timing can change the RPM's.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.