Jeep will not run after new carb and distributor, PICS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep will not run after new carb and distributor, PICS

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep will not run after new carb and distributor, PICS

Ok I have posted several times on this but now I have everything installed on my 98 jeep yj 4.2L 258. but I am not having any luck getting it to fire.... My first guess is that I have the timing off. I do have fuel flow, it took awhile and a mouth full of gas but it is pumping.
I will explaine both the carb and the dist in pictures below.

This is a new engine to me, it has about 35000 miles on it.
I installed a new:
Weber 32/36
CRT Performance HEI Distributor
New exhaust manifold and new Valve cover

Carb install specs:
I installed the vacume lines per the diagram on the 32/36 sticky
Vacume advance:
I came off of the CTO valve in two places with a T like shown in the diagram from there I went to another T one into the carb vac port on the right side in the picture and than to the vacume advance on the carb
PCV:
off of the valve in the spacer below the carb to the PCV valve and than down to the charcoal canister
CTO:
straight to canister
EGR:
from CTO to EGR valve (i do not have and EGR tube so I plugged the hole with a bolt until I can get one)

Hose to the right is fuel
hose to the lower left with T is the vac advance
hose on the top left is carb vent directly to canister as well

Distributor (CRT Performance HEI)

This engine had the distributor removed when I got it so I had to find TDC on my own. I put my finger over the 1st cyl spark plug hole and turned the engine until I felt the air. When I checked the timing the line was at 0 TDC. I would assume this means I found the TDC of the 1st cyl.

from there I installed the dist with the vacume advance facing the passanger fender, took off the cap and marked the first point based on the rotar button. installed the wires 153624. I do get a spark.

so I get nothing....... it turns and I hear a carb pop every 10 seconds or so and a little bump but nothing that sounds like it is going to fire. I even tried turning the dist 180 Deg out but still nothing. The plugs are flat black not wet.

any ideas where to start???

Last edited by johnrezz; 10-26-2008 at 08:41 PM..
johnrezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Should I have to turn the dist while trying to start the jeep???? how far out does it need to be to not allow it to start?

anyone have any advice?

Last edited by johnrezz; 10-26-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help!!!!

Someone on here has got to be the expert I need..........
Unread 10-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i would try turning the disty while trying to start it. then find the spot where it starts to kick. and work from there
mtn_wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ON a side note, you do realize that you have no Tach wire runnin from the Distributor... right? (not that it would effect starting, just tryin to help)
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 32/36 vacume lines picture

Have I done this right???

The one that i really question is the PCV vacume lines, I went from the valve under the carb on the spacers to the PCV valve and than directly to the charcoal canister.

Pictures are worth a thousand words:
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if you have no spark

open the dist. again
sound like you didnt seat the rotor correctly
or possibly even the cap
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeyman View Post
ON a side note, you do realize that you have no Tach wire runnin from the Distributor... right? (not that it would effect starting, just tryin to help)
I was going to wait until the engine was running before I figured that out. I have to find the tach wire on the old harness.

The CRT HEI has a wire that goes to the tach that came with it, it goes next to the pink one.

More info on this would be great..

Thanks, I appreciate any help at this point.....
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
if you have no spark

open the dist. again
sound like you didnt seat the rotor correctly
or possibly even the cap
I do have a spark and I believe I am set correct to TDC on #1
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when it cranks, is it an easy crank, or hard crank?

if hard then the timming is off bad, if easy then you should be ok, but re-seat all the spark plugs
and try again
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

On the air coming out on number one, remember you will get that 2 times. One on compression and one on the exhaust stroke. Make sure that you get a suction first than a compression. You could have stab the dist on the compression stroke.
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #12
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

x2 alabama , I think you are 180 off
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
demo44
1988 YJ Wrangler 

He said in another post he switched the distriburor 180*. I think maybe the dist needs turned some while trying to start. Maybe its just not close enough were you have it1
demo44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is not hard to turn, I pulled the plugs and re-gapped per the spec around .045-.050, I am going to make sure I am on TDC and try turning the dist while having someone else crank it, I was by myself last night so it wsa hard to do....
can someone tell me if I have the vacumes hooked up right per the labeled photo above??
Unread 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Right off the bat I can tell you that you have your advance for the distributor hooked up wrong, but it's an easy mistake when you look at the diagram. You need to connect it to the port that is listed as "EGR" and cap the "vacuum advance" port. It may not make sense now but I will explain it below the image if you would like to know why.

The Weber 32/36 is commonly used as an upgrade on British made MG cars with carburated engines which use Manifold vacuum (starts out high at idle and decreases as engine RPM increases) to alter the speed of the distribution and "advance" it. While most American engines (including the AMC 4.2) use Ported vacuum (starts out at near zero at idle and is highest at WOT) to advance the timing. This should not prevent the engine from running, but once it is it will increase the performance of the engine once it is running.

On another note it is hard to tell if you have your electric choke hooked up from the picture you posted.
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.