Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep v.s. Hummer

3K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  lockyouraxles 
#1 ·
I always have fights with my friends about off roading vehicles and it pisses me off how they always say so and so about peoples cars and how jeeps are worthless compared to hummers???

So what all do you think about Jeeps v.s. other vehicles i.e. hummers etc.

They also say big lifts are worthless and any tire larger than 38 is stupid??

#2 ·
I would much rather have my Jeep driving through those tight logging trails than a beast of a Humvee. I can't imagine trying to turn around in one of those things in the middle of the woods. They're just so big it's obnoxious. I'm sure there are advantages to Humvees. Just remember, the cheapest Hummer is around $50,000. Think, if you put the same amount of money into a brand new Jeep it would probably be equivalent or better to a Humvee. Or maybe I just love Jeeps.

#3 ·
jeep always wins hands down when compared to hummer.. hummers are too damn big.. , plus IFS sucks at rockcrawling, not to mention there's less legroom in a hummer than there is in a wrangler.. now.. if i needed a vehicle that could handle 4 guys, plus a roof, turret-mounted machinegun or anti-tank rocket launcher, then i'd pick the hummer.. but for all purpose wheelability.. jeeps are more fun hands down and win every time.. well.. high speed baja style racing hummers may perform well in.. but that's it.. live axles win over IFS in virtually every other category except clearance and high-speed smoothness

#4 ·
big lifts are worthless? have they seen one of the recent issues of 4wheeler where they were crawling up 10' tall waterfalls? big tires are useful in rolling over larger obstacles, not to mention a lower tire pressure can be run.. just ask the trans-antarctic 4wd team that's driving a pair of modified toyota landcruisers w/ diesels and 44's..

#6 ·
I think a hummer might be more capable in wide open areas. I mean, the military chose Hummers over Jeeps, they must have some good advantages, but in tight trails, I dunno. I'd have more fun in Jeeps. Besides, gettin' stuck is half the fun, if I wanted to drive around without fear of running into some probs, I'd stay on the highway.

#7 ·
jeeps rule. hummers have more clearance but less power then a stock 6 cylinder jeep. did you know that. 0-60 time on a hummer is a wapping 12 seconds. LOL thats pathetic. I know that for the price of paying for a hummer if you put that same money into any jeep you could build it to beat the hummer hands down in anything. except the room to have 13 passangers in the back..

#11 ·
I think hummers are nice but if i had the money to buy a hummer. I would build my own 4x4. some radical thing. that could go anywhere and do anything best of both worlds type thing. something that i could drive like a baja and then shfit down and crawl with the best of them. and then turn around and drive it home getting some decent gas milage. hell for 60000 dallors it really wouldn;t be that difficut to do that.

#12 ·
so basically you want a rock truggy S10 like walker evans's..

me too..

#13 ·
Guys, guys, guys:

Jeep obviously are awesome.

BUT: You've got to be nuts to say Hummers are bad - They are big, but they are amazing. I've ridden in them, and they are excellent. They are big for lots of the off-roading that a Jeep owner does, but it is also about reliability. That car is not going to break, especially the frame/body/chassis. Its a sweet machine!

#15 ·
They must be great for picking up clients at the airport. Nowadays a Hummer might come in handy in that respect. On the trail is where the proof is in the pudding. I went to Left Hand Canyon Saturday and saw many, many vehicles, but not one Hummer. If you go to a widebody playground such as Moab, I suppose you'd see a few. I have a $7,000 93 YJ, and plan on about $3,000 more next month. It would probably keep up with Hummers except I concede that I would have to make extra trips to the airport. But then again, I don't have clients, or go to the airport. But I have been in a number of tight places with my Jeep! :D Oh, by the way, 22mpg means more Jeeping too!

#16 ·
ok
hummer good for going fast offroad... forgine rivers and driveing on steep side hills but for 50k you could have my dream jeep!!!! with a cummins turbo diesel, geared hubs, nv 4500 , atlas II 3/4 eliptical conversion selectable lockers onboard air, on board welder , fox raceing shocks ( very agustable) and have a beast that could out wheel ,out pull, out run, everything accept out shoot or take a bullet better than a hummer

#17 ·
whoa!! i got a topic going, i know we will all say jeeps are better b/c we have jeeps, hummers are cool.. but throw that much into a jeep and you COULD even have a bulletproof vehicle with the exception of like a 50 cal gun and it would be the best, how would it be compared to like an old chevy with like a 381 383 or whatever how would they compare???

#18 ·
Jeep Vs. Hummer (HMMWV)
I've had the oppertunity to get payed good old US Tax dollars to spend countless hours beating the heck out of the world's greatest off-road vehicle while supported by a full time team of mechanics who will replace parts and repair damage w/o question. Maybe the army is pretty cool after all!
However, as truley great as the HMMWV is off road it does have some draw backs:
1. It's huge! The wheel base was designed to roll in the same footprint as tanks, trucks, and all other manner of tracked vehicles. Try to go through any kind of wooded area and there go your mirrors, antenas, paint, etc. Moreover, the large area on the underside lends to center lining on large rocks, tree stumps, and whatever else gets under there. Also, the underside is very flat- So in deep mud (Korean rice paddies) it can create a vacume that can suck the underside even deeper-
2. It's a pig. Slower than slow. My 4 banger YJ feels like a formula 1 on crack by compairison. And due to it's size it has the turn raduis of a drucken girraffe.

Bottom line: The HMMWV will do things and will and go places that will blow your mind. Is it $40,000 better than a Jeep?- Not even.

#19 ·
V8wrangler_idaho said:
jeeps rule. hummers have more clearance but less power then a stock 6 cylinder jeep. did you know that. 0-60 time on a hummer is a wapping 12 seconds. LOL thats pathetic. I know that for the price of paying for a hummer if you put that same money into any jeep you could build it to beat the hummer hands down in anything. except the room to have 13 passangers in the back..
no its actually 17 seconds and ive heard they go slower downhill like I heard 21 seconds :0 but dont believe everything you hear

www.car-videos.com did a 0-60 test on the hummer and im pretty sure it was 17 or 18 seconds. Yep, second slowest car on the sight, second to the Yugo! haha but what is this superhonda

#20 ·
seems like you guys are all thinking kinda one track...

Of course to us a jeep is going to kick all ***.... that's why were posting here....

but for what they do, a Hummer is quite the machine. A few reasons:
-all kinds of passenger/gear space (large enough for ambulance)
-jeep has no room for the .50 cal
-no hogheads
-they go DEEP (A buddy of mine has gotten one stuck in a pond, but that was when the roof went under)
-they can cruise....and cruise.... and cruise...and cruise...and cruise.... and cruise

ok i got tired of typing

might not be the best crawlers in the world, but if the army were looking for crawlers I'm sure they wouldnt have picked hummers...

JEEPS KICK *** :D

#22 ·
Try getting a Hummer in a regular sized parking spot! Room for a 50 cal? Who cares? I drive my jeep to get out into the wilderness, not take down aircraft. (although occassionally blowing something up with gasoline is cool).

The Hummer may be great for its intended use, but its no where near a Jeep in being able to do daily driving and 4x4ing on the weekend (all while being somewhat cheap to buy and fuel efficient). Besides, most of the people who drive the Hummer are the type of people I don't like - corporate executives who keep their vehicles spotless.

MB

#23 ·
JeepN87 said:
Wasn't there an article in one of the off-road mags about Wrangler TJ vs. Hummer? help me out on this guys, but im pretty sure the JEEP won
That Rticle you refer to is TJ vs. HUMMER WHO`S DA CHUMP, MAY 2001. If you check jpmagazine.com they said something about video clips which I think that I did watch. Not sure if they are still there, probably though. No JP mag didnt just diss the hummer they talked about some of the bad points of the Jeep, Not many Hummer good points. Like they said there is no place that a hummercan go that a TJ in some form can`t. Also they said try and squeeze on through upper Helldorado in Moab.

Also remember that at one time Jeeps were made by AM General maybe they were just the DJ`s I am not sure, But the hummer the Hummer JP mag used was an H1 AM General. $112,000 machine.

If it weren`t for the Jeep the hummer wouldn`t be here or maybe even America for that fact.

#24 ·
ok heres my two cents
if you put the same amount of money into a jeep as a hummer the jeep would be better. it would be better in: gas mileage, articulation, traction tire size and go-anywhere ability. the hummer would still have it beat in stability and cargo room/ passenger room. as for fording through water. the stock hummer (no snorkel) is rated to about three foot of water, while a jeep is a little less not sure of the exact number. all around, the jeep is a better vehicle for civilian use but the hummer has a definite place in military use or civilian show. i assumed that everyone is talking about the h1 and not the h2 pos.

#25 ·
bigjeep39 said:
I always have fights with my friends about off roading vehicles and it pisses me off how they always say so and so about peoples cars and how jeeps are worthless compared to hummers???

So what all do you think about Jeeps v.s. other vehicles i.e. hummers etc.

They also say big lifts are worthless and any tire larger than 38 is stupid??
I'd rather have a hummer while driving my jeep

#26 ·
ok guys, when i hear things like "the hummer was develop to follow in the tracks of tanks", this is true with the humvee, with the military and the h1 is still a very formidable machine, but the h2 is a suburban frame with a fancy (nice looking) body. would we agree with that? h2, i don't know if i would considered it the in the same way i would the h1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.