Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep turns off when I let off the gas

728 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chrisnvegas 
#1 ·
1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4cylinder

So I let my Jeep sit for a few months without running it (4 month old baby...not as much fun time).
Anyways, it won't turn on as usual. If I jump it with another vehicle, I can get it to turn on and run by hitting the gas pedal. But once I let off the gas pedal, the Jeep dies. It can easily start right back up with a jump, but only if I hold down the gas the entire time.
I assume this is from the fuel going bad from just sitting there for a few months. What do you suggest I do? Get rid of the fuel in the tank and replace the fuel filter?
Thanks for any and all suggestions. I'll try to stay on this today if you have questions. Thanks!

#5 ·
Replace the fuel filter and new fuel. Get a multi tester and check for 12 volts at the battery. Then , when it starts, check for 14 volts to confirm your alternator is functioning. Just went through this exact scenario with a buddys car. New battery dead the next day, Jump started, alt putting out 13 volts for a minute or two then tapers off to nothing as the car warms up. New alternator fixed it.

#6 ·
New fuel blends start breaking down in as little as 30 days. Hot weather speeds up the process. Siphon it out and change the filter. Next time you expect it to sit for more than a month, use fuel stabilizer and run it for 10 mins or so to make sure it gets into the fuel injection.
Also pick up a trickle charger that turns on and off as needed to keep the battery charged.

Run some BG CF5 or 44K through it. I have found BG products to be pretty good.

http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-cf5/
http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/#bg-product-1

I use these to maintain batteries that sit. It won't overcharge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.