Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep still over heating even after head job

28K views 202 replies 51 participants last post by  rm56 
#1 · (Edited)
OK this is getting old really quick

I changed the water pump, tstat fan belts, had the head done and the radiator flushed and tested.

What else could it be. THe stupid thing is still over heating.

New shroud and new fan/clutch Sorry left that out
EDITED TO INCLUDE MORE INFO:

Hi All,

I decided to clean this post up and be a little clearer on what has been done to the heap to this point.

Truck seemed to be running fin when I first bought it. But it was cooler in Jan.

I did the basics:
Plugs
Wirers
Oil/filter
Air filter
{Shock,Brakes,Tirers/rims} Yes no affect on cooling I know, just part of the list
Flushed the coolant (block and radiator ) with Prestone kit.
Hoses checked ok
Changed out tstat
Clutch fan
Flushed and pressure tested radiator
No coolant in oil
New water pump
Another new tstat
New belt
Pulled the fuel tank and replace bad hose to fuel pump
New radiator cap (x2)
Pulled head and had it rebuild and resurfaced Put in new seals, gaskets etc.
new fan shroud
Some of this I did some the mechanic did so I am going to check his work when it gets home.

See less See more
#152 ·
Not sure where you are at with your project, but I have a solution for you.
Knock out the freeze plugs on the side of the block. You can then run pieces of stiff wire up into the water jackets to see if you have any blockage. I have seen factory plugs pulled and behind them nothing but rust/mud/stuff.

#153 ·
czjeeper said:
Not sure where you are at with your project, but I have a solution for you.
Knock out the freeze plugs on the side of the block. You can then run pieces of stiff wire up into the water jackets to see if you have any blockage. I have seen factory plugs pulled and behind them nothing but rust/mud/stuff.
Thanx but I think the new fan will fix things. Only time will tell. Of course now it cool out so it probably wont overheat until next summer. :drool:

#154 ·
If I am not mistaken your fan shroud could be the cause of your overheating problems.That isn't a fan shroud for a YJ. I think it is for a 4cyl Cherokee or Briarwood and that would make it overheat for sure

EDIT:

See if you can find this part number on it 5300 0015. If so then it is for a cherokee.
Part number should be 5200 4214-1. And the ahroud completely encases the fan so you can not see it from above like your can be in your picture.

#155 ·
laybackman said:
If I am not mistaken your fan shroud could be the cause of your overheating problems.That isn't a fan shroud for a YJ. I think it is for a 4cyl Cherokee or Briarwood and that would make it overheat for sure

EDIT:

See if you can find this part number on it 5300 0015. If so then it is for a cherokee.
Part number should be 5200 4214-1. And the ahroud completely encases the fan so you can not see it from above like your can be in your picture.
Well this shroud came right from the dlr. They looked it up and said that was the one I needed. The 4cyl is bigger and encases the fan totaly. I have the 6cyl.

I think its the new 7 blade fan making it look bigger. Not sure why but the 5 blade fan blades I had on there before were bigger. Not sure if that will hurt things or not. The yard that I got this from said it was off a 93 6cyl wrangler.

Not sure why Jeep would use a 5 and a 7 blade fan on these things. It does seem to be pulling more air and pulling it the right way. I guess only time will tell.

#156 · (Edited)
OK update on tis. I let the Jeep run after I swapped out H2O for coolant/H2O mix.

It took longer but it did get up to the 220 mark sitting at idle and no hood and 75deg out side. I parked it after that so i dont know if it would go higher or not at this time.

Do I still have an issue. I thought it would stay at 210 and not go higher.

Also there was no heat now. It was luke warm at best. Could the tstat have gone bad even though it was a new one. ????

#159 ·
I have run into this problem before on another vahicle and the way I diagnosed it was to pull the radiator hoses completely off,put your garden hose on the lower hose(this will insure a constant supply of WARM water Don't use cold as you will run the risk of cracking the block) let it run for a while and see what happens. If it overheats then you have a blockage somewhere. If not then it can be a couple things, Poor circulation -you will be pressuring the water through and basically bypassing the water pump. Or the radiator is not working properly but after all the things you have done I would bet it is not the radiator
Try this it is FREE and may lead you in the right direction Good Luck

#160 ·
laybackman said:

EDIT:

I have to agree with laybackman, the one on the picture isn't a fan shroud for a 4.0L. The space between tip of blade and shroud should be less and the shroud doesn't look like an original one. Go by the jeep dealer with the partnumber laybackman supplied and get a good one. You'll see the difference immidiately.

#162 ·
I know mine would never take the lower picture.

To late to call the dlr now. But I did get the one I have from them. They said it was the one for a 6cyl wrangler. I could not find a part number on it. Well not with out pulling it. Were is the part number located and Ill post that.

The good news is i got the hood and windshield back on. and took it the same 4 mile loop and it did not over heat. Stayed around 210. But when I stopped for a bit it would climb to 220.

So I am making progress.

#163 ·
My shroud on my 91 is stock and looks identical to yours. My fan blades (which are stock, also) are larger than yours leaving only 1 inch between tip of fan and the shroud. I took some pics but am having trouble sizing them. I'll do my best to get them up tonight.

I work on a lot of 4 bangers. They use that big shroud. I am certain your shroud is Ok. Fan does not look right.

#164 ·
The fan is off a 93 wrangler I was told by the salvage yard. Mine use to have a 5 blade this is a 7 blade. if you got pictures post them to photobucket.com.
I have been searching for someone with a 6 and the right fan to post pictures.

Thanx

#165 ·
Here are the pics. It is a five blad but notice it is larger. I have owned this jeep since new. Never changed fan or clutch assembly so I know it is right.

Attachments

#167 ·
That fan is too small.
I think they sold you one for a 2.5.
YJ-dimi said:
I have to agree with laybackman, the one on the picture isn't a fan shroud for a 4.0L. The space between tip of blade and shroud should be less and the shroud doesn't look like an original one. Go by the jeep dealer with the partnumber laybackman supplied and get a good one. You'll see the difference immidiately.

#168 ·
The fan you have is for an airconditioned 2.5 cherokee. Your shroud is correct. You are correct. The long snout wind tunnel shroud won't fit with a 4.0. Hell, it takes up almost half of the engine bay.

#169 ·
So the shroud looks good. I just have a smaller fan. I wonder why the 93 had a smaller 7 blade fan. I cannot locate a 5 blade fan for the life of me.

I appreciate the pictures.:2thumbsup:

I sen the yard I got it from an email Will wait for a few days to see what they come up with.

#171 ·
Try this, pull the hose off the radiator. Stick the garden hose with some rags and duct tape in the lower hose. Take the top hose off and have it pointing away from the engine. I use a metal pipe on the upper hose to get it away from everything. Turn on the hose and adjust the flow while the engine is running. If that cures it, the problem is with the fan or rad. If it still runs hot, and no circulation out of the top hose, something is stopped up. You should see the top hose flow everythime the t-sat opens up.

#173 ·
jeepwrnglr92 said:
So the shroud looks good. I just have a smaller fan. I wonder why the 93 had a smaller 7 blade fan. I cannot locate a 5 blade fan for the life of me.

I appreciate the pictures.:2thumbsup:

I sen the yard I got it from an email Will wait for a few days to see what they come up with.
Your shroud is OK for your year YJ,even though my earlier post of two pics from a FSm said they are not. I just found pics of my stock YJ shroud for my '95 Sahara 4.0 and it is like the one you curently have installed. The fan you have is not right for sure. I think the fan you have is for an XJ. Their fan diameter is smaller (= less CFM) because they had an auxiliary electric fan also.

#174 ·
laybackman said:
Your shroud is OK for your year YJ,even though my earlier post of two pics from a FSm said they are not. I just found pics of my stock YJ shroud for my '95 Sahara 4.0 and it is like the one you curently have installed. The fan you have is not right for sure. I think the fan you have is for an XJ. Their fan diameter is smaller (= less CFM) because they had an auxiliary electric fan also.
Thanx for the update. I do have an electric fan I could add if the place i got the fan from cannot help me. Looks like I'm draining coolant :drool:

#176 ·
Gasturbine said:
Do you have a body lift?

Also, I see you are using a pressure relief cap...get rid of it...most dont allow bidirectional flow.
No body lift. Just MORE.

Yes I am. Please explain why? I had both types on it and neither one made a diffrence.

I think at this point it is down to the fan being small. As it is getting a lot more airflow than in the past and will run 210 while driving. so that is goodness. Well at least on the short trip I took it on. I did nto dare to fenture to far yesterday being a holiday and all. Did not want it to blow up and have to have someone rescue me :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.