Jeep still over heating even after head job - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep still over heating even after head job

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Elf
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just my 2 cents... If it gets hot while sitting, and cools a little while moving, I would take a real good look at the fan clutch... Just my two cents...

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
cyco
1988 YJ Wrangler 

gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco
if its not the right head gasket, could be covering water ports, sometimes you can turn the gasket the wrong way, works fine but covers water ports
sorry i mean't to say intake gasket, not sure about 6 cycl, but have seen them wrong on chevy v8 an ford, both over heated fast
cyco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
tomjohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the temprature at the radiator inlet and outlet. The bottom radiator tank should be 11 to 15 degrease cooler than the top tank. If the drop is more than this the radiator is restricted.
tomjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
monger

was the head machined flat before reinstalling it with a new headgasket? nowhere in any of your posts have you mentioned any machine work. I have actually bought "remanufactured" heads that were not perfectly flat....you cant usually get away with doing a "slip & slide" headgasket job.
monger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #20
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monger
was the head machined flat before reinstalling it with a new headgasket? nowhere in any of your posts have you mentioned any machine work. I have actually bought "remanufactured" heads that were not perfectly flat....you cant usually get away with doing a "slip & slide" headgasket job.

Sorry never did a head job that they did nto machine it. So I just assumed every one machined theirs. But yes it was machined flat. They said it really did not need it. But they did machine it none the less.
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #21
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf
Just my 2 cents... If it gets hot while sitting, and cools a little while moving, I would take a real good look at the fan clutch... Just my two cents...

Yes this was replaced 2 times with new fans and still over heats.
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #22
kamaroman68
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Someone already mentioned this and i think hes probably right. If you have a serpentine belt drive you need a reverse rotation water pump. If you have a standard V belt setup you need a regular rotation pump. These are interchangeable physically but will cause your overhaeating issue. I would check that first. Chris
kamaroman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaroman68
Someone already mentioned this and i think hes probably right. If you have a serpentine belt drive you need a reverse rotation water pump. If you have a standard V belt setup you need a regular rotation pump. These are interchangeable physically but will cause your overhaeating issue. I would check that first. Chris

I have to agree with this one. If you did everything you stated, then one of the obvious things I think is the wrong water pump is used. They offer both for that year YJ.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #24
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler
I have to agree with this one. If you did everything you stated, then one of the obvious things I think is the wrong water pump is used. They offer both for that year YJ.

Well supposidly they have the right one for that engine. I wont know until i get it home and pull it.

Also they did put an electric fan on it to test and its still over heating.
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #25
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92
Well supposidly they have the right one for that engine. I wont know until i get it home and pull it.

Also they did put an electric fan on it to test and its still over heating.

You said you had the rad flushed but what about the block? what you just said tells me a blockage or the wrong water pump.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

OK just confirmed the part numbers and the pump is for a serp belt. not the v belt.

Man tis i sperplexing. a cooling system has only so many parts...
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You said you had the rad flushed but what about the block? what you just said tells me a blockage or the wrong water pump.
Yes I had the block flushed too. Sorry I did a 2 part flushing. one with rad in the heep and one where we sent the rad out.

I put a hose in the block and used the prestone flush kit.

just an off the wall thought ... what about pulling the upper and lower hoses and putting comressed air in the block? or is there to many place to block up to get a good pressure build up to blow out what ever may be blocking it?

Not sure if that would work or not.

Ya I am reaching at this point...
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Yes I had the block flushed too. Sorry I did a 2 part flushing. one with rad in the heep and one where we sent the rad out.

I put a hose in the block and used the prestone flush kit.

just an off the wall thought ... what about pulling the upper and lower hoses and putting comressed air in the block? or is there to many place to block up to get a good pressure build up to blow out what ever may be blocking it?

Not sure if that would work or not.

Ok, then its gotta be the H20 pump. Unless of course you have the tstat in backwards. I wouldn't bother with the compressed air.

Unread 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, then its gotta be the H20 pump. Unless of course you have the tstat in backwards. I wouldn't bother with the compressed air.
Well the part place confirmed the H2O pump was the right one so how could it still be that one?
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #30
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Well the part place confirmed the H2O pump was the right one so how could it still be that one?

I can get a serp. belt pump in both reverse and forward rotation. I do not know what one you need personally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.