Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep still over heating even after head job

28K views 202 replies 51 participants last post by  rm56 
#1 · (Edited)
OK this is getting old really quick

I changed the water pump, tstat fan belts, had the head done and the radiator flushed and tested.

What else could it be. THe stupid thing is still over heating.

New shroud and new fan/clutch Sorry left that out
EDITED TO INCLUDE MORE INFO:

Hi All,

I decided to clean this post up and be a little clearer on what has been done to the heap to this point.

Truck seemed to be running fin when I first bought it. But it was cooler in Jan.

I did the basics:
Plugs
Wirers
Oil/filter
Air filter
{Shock,Brakes,Tirers/rims} Yes no affect on cooling I know, just part of the list
Flushed the coolant (block and radiator ) with Prestone kit.
Hoses checked ok
Changed out tstat
Clutch fan
Flushed and pressure tested radiator
No coolant in oil
New water pump
Another new tstat
New belt
Pulled the fuel tank and replace bad hose to fuel pump
New radiator cap (x2)
Pulled head and had it rebuild and resurfaced Put in new seals, gaskets etc.
new fan shroud
Some of this I did some the mechanic did so I am going to check his work when it gets home.

See less See more
#3 ·
Always start with the easy stuff before you start throwing money at a problem. As isuace said, check the clutch fan and the shroud. Is your coolant level right, and is the mixture correct? Do you have a winch or lights on the front end that is blocking airflow to the radiator? Is the front of your radiator caked with mud or anything that is preventing it from working? Do you have coolant in the oil? Double check your thermostat and make sure you didn't get a bad one.

#4 ·
no winch or mud. have not even been off road with it yet. :(
Been in the shop all summer.
Stock setup.

Yup I did replace all the simple stuff first. tested the coolant and had exhaust gases in the coolant. so we did the head still not working.

tried 2 tstats etc.

#8 ·
I am hoping the mechanic put the belt on right. It was on right when I gave it to him

as for what is happening I had another threat on this a while back but here goes.

At idle the truck temp goes up to 240+. It does not take long for it to get there. When I start driving it "use" to go down in temp but who knows at this point what it is doing.

#9 ·
Just a thought, have you considered hoses? A friend of mine reused some radiator hoses on a s10 after replacing everything else and whenever the engine would reach a certain temperature, the walls of the hose were so weak they'd collapse on themselves and starve the engine. It took him weaks to figure it out.

#10 ·
jarhead2531 said:
Just a thought, have you considered hoses? A friend of mine reused some radiator hoses on a s10 after replacing everything else and whenever the engine would reach a certain temperature, the walls of the hose were so weak they'd collapse on themselves and starve the engine. It took him weaks to figure it out.
I did check the hoses when it was up to temp and they seemd ok. but at this rat I may try replacing them,

#12 ·
TSEJEEPERS said:
Did you check your temp sensor to see if it is good and really reaching these temps?
The mechanic said he used a IR thermometer gage and it was reading high. I thought the same thing and I may replace it once it gets home just to be safe I think its only 16$ or something like that.

I bought an IR thermometer too and Ill check it with that too.

#14 ·
I believe that there are some engines where the water pump turns in one direction and other engines it turns in another direction. When purchasing a new water pump, you have to make sure that the vanes are facing the same direction as the original.
One way to make sure that coolant is moving through the system is to remove the t-stat and watch the water through the rad cap to see if it is moving in the right direction.
Also make sure you have the proper temp t-stat (195).

#19 ·
was the head machined flat before reinstalling it with a new headgasket? nowhere in any of your posts have you mentioned any machine work. I have actually bought "remanufactured" heads that were not perfectly flat....you cant usually get away with doing a "slip & slide" headgasket job.

#20 ·
monger said:
was the head machined flat before reinstalling it with a new headgasket? nowhere in any of your posts have you mentioned any machine work. I have actually bought "remanufactured" heads that were not perfectly flat....you cant usually get away with doing a "slip & slide" headgasket job.
Sorry never did a head job that they did nto machine it. So I just assumed every one machined theirs. But yes it was machined flat. They said it really did not need it. But they did machine it none the less.

#22 ·
Someone already mentioned this and i think hes probably right. If you have a serpentine belt drive you need a reverse rotation water pump. If you have a standard V belt setup you need a regular rotation pump. These are interchangeable physically but will cause your overhaeating issue. I would check that first. Chris

#23 ·
kamaroman68 said:
Someone already mentioned this and i think hes probably right. If you have a serpentine belt drive you need a reverse rotation water pump. If you have a standard V belt setup you need a regular rotation pump. These are interchangeable physically but will cause your overhaeating issue. I would check that first. Chris
I have to agree with this one. If you did everything you stated, then one of the obvious things I think is the wrong water pump is used. They offer both for that year YJ.

#24 ·
rustywrangler said:
I have to agree with this one. If you did everything you stated, then one of the obvious things I think is the wrong water pump is used. They offer both for that year YJ.
Well supposidly they have the right one for that engine. I wont know until i get it home and pull it.

Also they did put an electric fan on it to test and its still over heating.

#25 ·
jeepwrnglr92 said:
Well supposidly they have the right one for that engine. I wont know until i get it home and pull it.

Also they did put an electric fan on it to test and its still over heating.
You said you had the rad flushed but what about the block? what you just said tells me a blockage or the wrong water pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.