Jeep still over heating even after head job - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep still over heating even after head job

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #151
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Here is the new fan installed. This is off a 93 4.0 looks small but I think it will do the job. To bad now its cool out and in the 60s and the hood it off it but it did seem to run at 210 in the driveway. I let it run a for a while. Ill have to put the hood back on and take it for a drive to see what happens.

Unread 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #152
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure where you are at with your project, but I have a solution for you.
Knock out the freeze plugs on the side of the block. You can then run pieces of stiff wire up into the water jackets to see if you have any blockage. I have seen factory plugs pulled and behind them nothing but rust/mud/stuff.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #153
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper
Not sure where you are at with your project, but I have a solution for you.
Knock out the freeze plugs on the side of the block. You can then run pieces of stiff wire up into the water jackets to see if you have any blockage. I have seen factory plugs pulled and behind them nothing but rust/mud/stuff.

Thanx but I think the new fan will fix things. Only time will tell. Of course now it cool out so it probably wont overheat until next summer.
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #154
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I am not mistaken your fan shroud could be the cause of your overheating problems.That isn't a fan shroud for a YJ. I think it is for a 4cyl Cherokee or Briarwood and that would make it overheat for sure

EDIT:

See if you can find this part number on it 5300 0015. If so then it is for a cherokee.
Part number should be 5200 4214-1. And the ahroud completely encases the fan so you can not see it from above like your can be in your picture.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #155
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman
If I am not mistaken your fan shroud could be the cause of your overheating problems.That isn't a fan shroud for a YJ. I think it is for a 4cyl Cherokee or Briarwood and that would make it overheat for sure

EDIT:

See if you can find this part number on it 5300 0015. If so then it is for a cherokee.
Part number should be 5200 4214-1. And the ahroud completely encases the fan so you can not see it from above like your can be in your picture.
Well this shroud came right from the dlr. They looked it up and said that was the one I needed. The 4cyl is bigger and encases the fan totaly. I have the 6cyl.

I think its the new 7 blade fan making it look bigger. Not sure why but the 5 blade fan blades I had on there before were bigger. Not sure if that will hurt things or not. The yard that I got this from said it was off a 93 6cyl wrangler.

Not sure why Jeep would use a 5 and a 7 blade fan on these things. It does seem to be pulling more air and pulling it the right way. I guess only time will tell.
Unread 12-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #156
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

OK update on tis. I let the Jeep run after I swapped out H2O for coolant/H2O mix.

It took longer but it did get up to the 220 mark sitting at idle and no hood and 75deg out side. I parked it after that so i dont know if it would go higher or not at this time.

Do I still have an issue. I thought it would stay at 210 and not go higher.

Also there was no heat now. It was luke warm at best. Could the tstat have gone bad even though it was a new one. ????

Last edited by jeepwrnglr92; 12-23-2007 at 01:23 PM..
jeepwrnglr92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #157
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like your heater core is clogged.
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #158
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSam02
sounds like your heater core is clogged.
ya i thought that too but i back flushed it and forward flushed it etc and it was hot when i ran straight water.

thats whats weird.
Unread 12-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #159
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have run into this problem before on another vahicle and the way I diagnosed it was to pull the radiator hoses completely off,put your garden hose on the lower hose(this will insure a constant supply of WARM water Don't use cold as you will run the risk of cracking the block) let it run for a while and see what happens. If it overheats then you have a blockage somewhere. If not then it can be a couple things, Poor circulation -you will be pressuring the water through and basically bypassing the water pump. Or the radiator is not working properly but after all the things you have done I would bet it is not the radiator
Try this it is FREE and may lead you in the right direction Good Luck
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #160
YJ-dimi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

EDIT:

I have to agree with laybackman, the one on the picture isn't a fan shroud for a 4.0L. The space between tip of blade and shroud should be less and the shroud doesn't look like an original one. Go by the jeep dealer with the partnumber laybackman supplied and get a good one. You'll see the difference immidiately.
YJ-dimi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #161
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's pictures of both the XJ 4cyl shroud and the YJ 6cyl shroud

laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #162
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I know mine would never take the lower picture.

To late to call the dlr now. But I did get the one I have from them. They said it was the one for a 6cyl wrangler. I could not find a part number on it. Well not with out pulling it. Were is the part number located and Ill post that.

The good news is i got the hood and windshield back on. and took it the same 4 mile loop and it did not over heat. Stayed around 210. But when I stopped for a bit it would climb to 220.

So I am making progress.
Unread 12-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #163
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My shroud on my 91 is stock and looks identical to yours. My fan blades (which are stock, also) are larger than yours leaving only 1 inch between tip of fan and the shroud. I took some pics but am having trouble sizing them. I'll do my best to get them up tonight.

I work on a lot of 4 bangers. They use that big shroud. I am certain your shroud is Ok. Fan does not look right.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #164
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

The fan is off a 93 wrangler I was told by the salvage yard. Mine use to have a 5 blade this is a 7 blade. if you got pictures post them to photobucket.com.
I have been searching for someone with a 6 and the right fan to post pictures.

Thanx
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #165
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the pics. It is a five blad but notice it is larger. I have owned this jeep since new. Never changed fan or clutch assembly so I know it is right.
dsc00300.jpg

dsc00301.jpg

dsc00302.jpg

NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.