jeep stalls when coming to a stop after engine is warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep stalls when coming to a stop after engine is warm

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

jeep stalls when coming to a stop after engine is warm

So here is my problem, I have a 88 wrangler with a 4.2 and motercraft 2150 carb, when after the engine is warmed up the jeep stalls when coming to a stop or slowing down. Before the engine is warm it will drive perfectly fine with no problems. The stalling most of the time happens at the same spot in my commute. One is a sharp right turn and the other is a stop sign. It seems as if it is perfectly timed every time it stalls, about 10 minutes into driving.

After it stalls it will either start up fine or start and stall immediately and requires me to give it a little gas as it cranks. After it starts again the engine will lope and surge while coasting and it will generally lope before stalling in the first place. I know when it will happen whenever I see the tach bounce.

I just don't know where to start looking for the problem.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you nuttered?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Check the fuel float level. Also check to see when the choke is opening up. You may have a plugged curcuit and not able to get the right amount of fuel. The MC carb is a good one and easy to get running right.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Checked the float level and it was a little too low so I adjusted that. I just need to test drive to see if that was the problem.

The jeep is nuttered and the choke is fully open before the jeep is warm approx 5 minutes after driving.

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well the float level was not the problem, the jeep still stalls the same. Any other ideas?

Unread 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check for vac leaks... specifically near the brake booster.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.