Jeep stalls offroad when shaken.... What to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep stalls offroad when shaken.... What to do?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
TBONEU

Jeep stalls offroad when shaken.... What to do?

Hi,

I own a 1989 Wrangler Islander, I-6. Every time I go or try to go off-roading my Jeep will stall out when I drive over tractor tire ruts or any hard surface with ruts that cause vibration and bouncing. I’m not sure if it’s my stock carburetor or fuel system. I was trying to explore a new area two days ago (Red Cloud Mine, CA) by myself. I got half a mile out on the dirt road. Even though I was driving slowly, I was bouncing around from the tractor tire ruts. My Jeep died and I had to wait about 5-10 minutes until it would start back up again.

Since I was traveling alone and had no cell phone or C.B. radio, I didn’t feel confident enough to continue on to the mine. I turned around and went home. If I continued I would have constantly stalled out and maybe even became stranded.

I must say, my Jeep has given my more pain then pleasure over my 12 years of ownership.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Terry

TBONEU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #2
Tommy Gun

Terry, I'm no major wrench, but I'd say it might be your floats. I'd also try and air down your tires so you don't bounce as much. One more thing, where is this place you were at, I'd like to go if it's near by. I live in La Mirada, we're almost neighbors.
Good luck,
Tommy

'89 Wrangler Laredo
4.2l auto, ac, cb,cd, 31's
Daystar 1" lift in mail with the 1" shackles.
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
TBONEU

Tommy,

My “floats” might be my problem? How do I correct that exactly? I’m NOT a mechanic either but I did install my own lift kit and my sister’s Jeep too. Do I have to disassemble the carburetor to fix the floats? If figure I will ask my trusted mechanic if he can fix my problem. He was able to fix problems with my Jeep that three other dealerships couldn’t.

I found out about Red Cloud mine in Tony Huegel’s book, “California Desert Byways.” You can buy it through www.amazon.com like I did. Red Cloud mine is located in Red Cloud Canyon south of Interstate 10 in the Chuckwalla Mountains. About 40 miles east of Indio, and 9 miles west of Chiriaco Summit (General Patton Museum is there) on Interstate 10.

In the California Desert Byways, it rates the difficulty as easy but rocky in places. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it far enough to even see the rocky places. I was going there looking for photographic opportunities, oh well maybe next time.

Oh, DeLorme’s So Cal Topo map also shows the roads leading to this place, very handy out on the trail.

Terry
TBONEU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.