Jeep stalling and cutting out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep stalling and cutting out.

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep stalling and cutting out.

Jeep 95 yj, 2.5 L, 5 spd.

I recently moved from Southern Illinois to Green River, Wyoming. It is -20 here and 6200 feet above sea level. A big change from where I'm from. This information may be important or not.

Ok, jeep starts every time when it has sat for hours, when I give it gas in neutral or in gear it begins to stall (choppy) unless I apply more than normal throttle. When I barely apply any gas at all it stalls. When shifting gears it will stall unless I apply more than normal gas. The biggest issue is that once it stalls after initial ignition it will not start again for hours. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet due to the local stores not loaning tools. I don't believe spark to be the problem but y'all are smarter than me. I've read to replace the TPS and I've been told to replace the MAP sensor. First things first I am going to test the fuel rail and replace fuel filter, add some Heet.

I'm not extremely mechanically inclined and I am always a little intimidated by working on vehicles so have some patience with me. Anyways, given these symptoms do you guys think I'm on the right track and do you have any suggestions?

coseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coseph View Post
Jeep 95 yj, 2.5 L, 5 spd.

I recently moved from Southern Illinois to Green River, Wyoming. It is -20 here and 6200 feet above sea level. A big change from where I'm from. This information may be important or not.

Ok, jeep starts every time when it has sat for hours, when I give it gas in neutral or in gear it begins to stall (choppy) unless I apply more than normal throttle. When I barely apply any gas at all it stalls. When shifting gears it will stall unless I apply more than normal gas. The biggest issue is that once it stalls after initial ignition it will not start again for hours. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet due to the local stores not loaning tools. I don't believe spark to be the problem but y'all are smarter than me. I've read to replace the TPS and I've been told to replace the MAP sensor. First things first I am going to test the fuel rail and replace fuel filter, add some Heet.

I'm not extremely mechanically inclined and I am always a little intimidated by working on vehicles so have some patience with me. Anyways, given these symptoms do you guys think I'm on the right track and do you have any suggestions?
With a cold engine: Take the + battery cable off of the battery. Ground the end of that cable for 30 seconds or so. Stick that + battery cable back on the battery. Start it up and drive it until it gets completely warmed up. That might fix it. I had you dump the learned memory in the brain. You have a big change in atmospheric conditions and your air/fuel mix and possibly your timing was probably wrong for your new climate and height above sea level.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the throttle body and IAC. Then search for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner on all the vacuum lines.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thank you all for the tips!
Unread 11-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, do the vacuum leak tests first. I bet a hose cracked in the cold.
Unread 12-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so I've replaced the fuel filter and someone recommended that I run BG 44k through it to clean the injectors as they believed that to be the problem. It just occurred to me that I am missing a vacuum hose that runs from the fuel regulator to the intake manifold. Though, I am not sure where the hose goes into the intake manifold. Does anyone know if this could be the problem and if so do you have a picture of where it goes into the manifold. I drove the jeep 300 miles today and the cutting out was gone until the jeep sat for an hour. It seems to be worse as the temperatures go cold… I'm not sure where ever vacuum hose is, so I haven't tested for leaks yet.
Unread 12-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, so I've replaced the fuel filter and someone recommended that I run BG 44k through it to clean the injectors as they believed that to be the problem. It just occurred to me that I am missing a vacuum hose that runs from the fuel regulator to the intake manifold. Though, I am not sure where the hose goes into the intake manifold. Does anyone know if this could be the problem and if so do you have a picture of where it goes into the manifold. I drove the jeep 300 miles today and the cutting out was gone until the jeep sat for an hour. It seems to be worse as the temperatures go cold… I'm not sure where ever vacuum hose is, so I haven't tested for leaks yet.
Here you go!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've checked it and there is no open spots on the intake manifold so I've got my vacuum hoses mixed up somewhere. It seems the spot w her the fuel regulator should plug into the intske manifold is plugged into a cylinder that is on the lower drivers side of the engine bay. Ill look up an intake manifold vacuum hose diagram
Unread 12-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Might be a good idea to check over all vacuum hoses, but I think some of them are supposed to have Tee type splitters. So a couple hoses coming from one port.
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I cant find good schematics or pictures. Just need to find a YJ and look lol. Anyone wanna post me a picture or pictures of there 2.5s manifold hoses ?
Unread 01-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
coseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone with a 2.5 L post some pictures of the vacuum lines from and to the intake manifold? And the hose that runs to the MAP sensor.
Unread 01-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Can anyone with a 2.5 L post some pictures of the vacuum lines from and to the intake manifold? And the hose that runs to the MAP sensor.
This is a diagram but it is fairly straight forward;

Tags
stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.