Jeep spraying gas at intersection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep spraying gas at intersection

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
CaptAmerica219
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep spraying gas at intersection

Rough day. Sitting a traffic light w/ a 9 year old in the back. My doors are off and I could barely smell some gas fumes but didn't think much of it. Then a truck full of landscapers roll down their window to tell me, "Hey, is that water spraying out of the back?" Nope, not water. From my driver's side rear wheel well is gasoline spraying everywhere.

Long story short, I clearly have a problem with one of the pressurized hoses in my fuel system. From what I have read, it sounds like it could be the return line. The NAPA guy basically told me that NAPA doesn't carry anything that can help me and the dealership might not either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be (more specifically) and where I can get the hoses?

CaptAmerica219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

They must have been looking for premade hoses like some vehicles have. I just bought bulk high pressure fuel line at Advance Auto. I think it was 3/8" and I got about 6 feet and had some left over. The lines run through a grommet in a crossmember ahead of the tank and I couldn't get the old lines out so I rerouted the new ones around the crossmember and made sure they were safely routed. If it is "spraying" it is probably the pressure line. I would replace both.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
CaptAmerica219
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are both hoses the same diameter? I was under the impression that one was 3/8 and another was 5/8.
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's been a while and I am getting forgetful, almost certain the pressure line is 3/8" but the return could be 5/16" but not 5/8". The front end of them connect ahead of the tank so you can check by crawling under and looking before dropping the tank. Maybe someone else knows the size offhand.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
CaptAmerica219
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Appreciate the help Bikerdude.
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you can buy them in bulk from just about any autoparts store. I replaced all of my rubber hoses 2 years ago, and I think I used a whopping 8 feet total between the 2, with some left over. Just make sure it is FOR FUEL INJECTION ONLY. Those lines are under a lot of pressure, and the fuel injected lines are stronger than the standard fuel lines that are used to feed the carbs.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My money is on the fuel filter. Those hoses that connect it to the hard lines. IIRC I got some standard 5/16" fuel hose and replaced the old cracked ones. There is one that is bent at 90 degrees but I was still able to use just standard fuel line.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAmerica219 View Post
Rough day. Sitting a traffic light w/ a 9 year old in the back. My doors are off and I could barely smell some gas fumes but didn't think much of it. Then a truck full of landscapers roll down their window to tell me, "Hey, is that water spraying out of the back?" Nope, not water. From my driver's side rear wheel well is gasoline spraying everywhere.

Long story short, I clearly have a problem with one of the pressurized hoses in my fuel system. From what I have read, it sounds like it could be the return line. The NAPA guy basically told me that NAPA doesn't carry anything that can help me and the dealership might not either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be (more specifically) and where I can get the hoses?
Your napa guys sucks man. I walked into napa and had a piece of fuel hose and said you have anything I can replace this with, he pointed to a spool on the wall and said how much you need?
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
My money is on the fuel filter. Those hoses that connect it to the hard lines. IIRC I got some standard 5/16" fuel hose and replaced the old cracked ones. There is one that is bent at 90 degrees but I was still able to use just standard fuel line.
with this ^^^. I've had it happen on my '94. It sprayed like a garden hose with a hole in it. I've used the same fix Louie did, but made sure to clamp it down well. the hard line is a slightly different diameter than the tank side of the filter connection. Leave enough slack that the hose doesn't kink at the 90 deg. turn. I put an extra hose clamp right in the bend to help keep the hose round and help keep it from kinking. (I hope)
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
jmmorgan82

Mine was doing the same thing and somehow one of the clamps had come loose and walked-off the hose and another clamp was loose. 30 seconds with a flathead screwdriver and she was good to go.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There may be a few reasons for the gas leak.

1) The rubber gasket for your sending unit has disintegrated. Possibly dealer only part, and there was a recall on it, if it is still active I do not know.

2) The fuel line to the fuel pump has cracked. There are two. One of the lines is a dealer only part because one end is larger than the other end. You can force a new hose on but you will eventually have another problem. Buy the right hose.

3) There is a 90 degree piece of hose just before your fuel filter that has cracked. This is also a dealer only part although I have heard of some placing a tube into a piece of hose to make the 90 degree piece. My advise is, Buy the right hose.

I know about all three because they happened to me. If I was you I would replace all three the right way so that it does not become another problem later. Ask me how I know this? Now everything is new.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

my one fuel hose broke, it was pouring out gas when i went up a steep hill and was dripping pretty fast when parked. i found the hose i needed on ebay for like $20
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
stroked250
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Common for the hard lines to seperate from the soft lines near the gas tank. Add a screw tight clamp on it if needed.
stroked250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use the right clamps to make sure that they are designed for the FI line. Yes there is a difference the edge is rounded just a bit to keep from tearing the hose.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.