Jeep soft top frame question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep soft top frame question

Hey guys, I am looking to pick up a new soft top this summer for my YJ but I really want one that can be mounted properly without the use of the roll bar extensions. I LOVE driving with the windshield folded, and it's a pain with the bars mounted. I have a Bestop half cab on it now and the frame has to be mounted on those bars. What tops can I use?

I am going to look at what appears to be a clean late 1995 this weekend. I can see the TJ bump stops in the photo, so it could even be a 1996 pro-date, but with all luck, that will replace my very tired 1991 mongrel Jeep. (YJ chassis, CJ clip & tailgate, 98 TJ motor and tranny)

Soon to be RIP old girl... I will remember her in the glory days...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Wild Hare
1991 YJ Wrangler 

there are no tops that do not use a rod/bar that connects to the windshield frame.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, what I want to know... is are there any out there that do not tie into the factory "roll bar" arms? I have never had a soft top other than the Best top half cab, the half cab has brackets that clamp onto those bars and required me to put them back on the Jeep. I want to be able to fold my windshield frame down, and the bars make it very hard to do so. So, can the Bestop's be installed properly without those factory bars that bolt to the windshield?

post #4 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Wild Hare
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
No, what I want to know... is are there any out there that do not tie into the factory "roll bar" arms? I have never had a soft top other than the Best top half cab, the half cab has brackets that clamp onto those bars and required me to put them back on the Jeep. I want to be able to fold my windshield frame down, and the bars make it very hard to do so. So, can the Bestop's be installed properly without those factory bars that bolt to the windshield?
No.

if you are folding your windshield down then you are either pulling the top off or folding it down as well so i dont see your issue.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

While you may not be able to do this with the half cab, you can do this with a Bestop Supertop. I run the Supertop, no spreader bars to get that CJ look, and with the CJ style windshield knobs I'm able to drop the windshield for driving all on a moments notice once the top is down.

Just attach the Supertop front brackets to the windshield, without the spreader bars. I used some washers to resize the bracket holes.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome... that is what I wanted to know. I have the CJ knobs and run the windshield folded a lot. I am planning to buy a full soft top this spring, I miss the wind in my face!
post #7 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could use a Bikini top, it just hooks into the windshield retainer and the straps hook up to the back of the tub.

94 YJ Sahara

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well ya... but that's hardly a real "top". I drove my old 91 for years like this and remember those wonderful days where the rain drips right onto the seat and soaks you. I will be driving this to work and have to be able to keep it dry (Jeep "dry" at least) I have to have a full top on her, and pulling the hard top off for the "good days" and hoping that it does not rain is not an option. Between the lack of a back seat, the ability to fold the windshield, and the terrible water leaking of the half cab, I can't stand that thing anymore. Every rain storm I have deep puddles on the floor, and the covered back seat area is always damp with condensation on the seat... that can't be good in the long term.

By the way, here is the new one I picked up over the weekend... Needed parts from my CJ converted YJ will be cleaned up and find their way onto this at some point. Frame and body is very solid, just a little distortion on the drivers side below the JEEP stamping, but no holes. The floors are even solid! I have a little work to do on her, but it will be on the road by spring.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0731.jpg   IMG_0733.jpg   IMG_0734.jpg   IMG_0735.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.