Jeep side panel rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep side panel rust

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Hurley91

Jeep side panel rust

So under the drivers side door, right underneath the JEEP stamp out on my jeep has bad rust and has gone to the stamp out. I dont think i can fix it without wrecking the logo, so do you guys know how to fix it or where to find a replacement? Thanks

Unread 09-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
griggs762
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on my 91 along with the drivers side floor. I think JCWHITNEY sells the aftermarket replacement panel your looking for. It goes from just under the logo back under the door opening. You can either weld it over or cut out the rot with a grinder or air chisel and either pop rivet the new one in or weld it. I cut out all the rot under the logo on mine and then cut out my own patch panel out of sheetmetal and welded it in along with the new floor panel from JCW. Grind down all the high spots with a grinder then use lite coats of body filler and sand it down then prime and paint. Not really too tough just time consuming.
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Triman416
1992 YJ Wrangler 

had the same problem with my 92, Injust cut it out, welded, bondoed, primed and put a similair color paint on it, after all it's a jeep, whats a few nicks and scratches. However I am now driving a Jee or as it looks Joo...makes for a few laughs
Triman416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the same problem (both sides). I have the panels griggs mentioned for JCW. They were $24 a piece with free shipping at the time. Planning on cutting out the steel cancer soon and welding the new panels in. Also, JCW has them listed for a CJ-7 but they part of the tub is the same on YJs so don't think they do not have the panel you need.
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
WCoon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do the new panels have the stamped JEEP logo on them?
WCoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Hurley91

OK thanks guys, i will check out JCW.
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoon View Post
Do the new panels have the stamped JEEP logo on them?
Sadly no, they do not. But you can get replacement 'Jeep' decals from 4wd.com that match the original. So you can make it say jeep like it used to, just not raised.
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382309
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
linemen339
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I cut my JEEP logo out and saved it. I am going to put it back on after the repair is done. I am thinking about putting it on upside down.

linemen339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There was a guy that got the licencing needed to produce panels stamped with jeep and oddly anough they actually say jeep and not joop. I think he had them on ebay or something but its been a while since I looked at them, they are out there though.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Triman416
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah mine said joop, but I think the guy that owned it before me repainted it, didn't do a good job considering I had to go weld in new sheet metal. I had a second rust spot where it looked like he welded in a piece of sheet metal to do a repair but didn't completly remove the cancer first. Either way I guess in your situation it just depends on how badly you want it to say jeep. The upside down thing is a pretty KA Idea, you just have to make sure to get the decal that says "if you can read this roll me over" and your complete!
Triman416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
linemen339
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triman416 View Post
The upside down thing is a pretty KA Idea, you just have to make sure to get the decal that says "if you can read this roll me over" and your complete!
That is what I was thinking about. My luck some A$$ will flip it on me to just do what the sticker is telling them... lol
linemen339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Hurley91

Does anyone know where else i can find just the stamp out? I didn't see anything like that on JCWhitney.
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemen339 View Post
I cut my JEEP logo out and saved it. I am going to put it back on after the repair is done. I am thinking about putting it on upside down.

You mean right side up, right?

Anyways don't order anything from JCWhitney, ever. I made that mistake and realized the crap they sell is marketed to a very general market. Nothing they sell actually fits OEM or is made to fit a Jeep, it's all cheaply manufacturered CRAP that's usually a "one fits most" or so cheaply made it's not worth the shipping. Their prices are usually on the high end as well.

On top of the fact their customer service reps are incompetent jerks who get in your face about returning broken, loose, and non-fitting items you PAID them to deliver to your house.

For most Jeep parts, go with Quadratec. They have a much bigger selection of OEM and aftermarket items at cheaper prices than most places. The guys over at Quadratec know how to treat a customer!

Try searching around, because I know there's a guy who makes and sells "Jeep" licensed and stamped body panels. I think they wanted $150 or so for the stamped rocker panel which goes from in front of the Jeep logo to about 3/4 to the rear of the rocker.

I'll do some digging at home tonight and try to find the links.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
You mean right side up, right?

Anyways don't order anything from JCWhitney, ever. I made that mistake and realized the crap they sell is marketed to a very general market. Nothing they sell actually fits OEM or is made to fit a Jeep, it's all cheaply manufacturered CRAP that's usually a "one fits most" or so cheaply made it's not worth the shipping. Their prices are usually on the high end as well.

On top of the fact their customer service reps are incompetent jerks who get in your face about returning broken, loose, and non-fitting items you PAID them to deliver to your house.

For most Jeep parts, go with Quadratec. They have a much bigger selection of OEM and aftermarket items at cheaper prices than most places. The guys over at Quadratec know how to treat a customer!

Try searching around, because I know there's a guy who makes and sells "Jeep" licensed and stamped body panels. I think they wanted $150 or so for the stamped rocker panel which goes from in front of the Jeep logo to about 3/4 to the rear of the rocker.

I'll do some digging at home tonight and try to find the links.
Thanks man, i would rather just get the stamp out if possible instead of the whole rocker peice. If i don't find anything then i will just cut both sides out
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I see what you mean. You could probably find a Jeep at a junkyard and ask if you can cut them out. Would be my best bet.

Personally, I would just weld in new panels an not worry about the logo. Nobody is going to give you grief about not having it, and you could easily apply new stickers to the area.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.