Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery!

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #46
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah only bad part was it took a week of driving it with the scan tool hooked up because it would never do it with the scan tool hooked up got some weird looks when my jeep died and i jumped out with a big smile on my face and did a dance lol

Unread 10-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #47
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Meh, for the life of me I cant figure this crap out... I'll have a youtube video up tomorrow that'le show what it's doing... Pretty amazing to watch, its the grimlin from hell! lol... I've got a couple of things to try still, thanks to you guys.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #48
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Would you happen to have somebody local who'd be willing to swap ECM's with you for a test?

You'd want a 4.0L auto tranny ECM.

Hmm, something about it being only in a forward gear has me thinking it could be column or shift/tranny electrical related.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #49
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Would you happen to have somebody local who'd be willing to swap ECM's with you for a test?

You'd want a 4.0L auto tranny ECM.

Hmm, something about it being only in a forward gear has me thinking it could be column or shift/tranny electrical related.
Will any 4.0 with auto tranny ECM work? The junkyards around here are completly full of Cherokees around my year with the exact same motors as mine but with 5 spd overdrive auto trannys.. Will cherokee ecms work? I've heard ecms can come "vin locked" or something and only work in birth vehicle... I would hate to give junkyard dudes my money for an ECM that won't run
Unread 10-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #50
tonythehazelnut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a good question.. I've been wondering that myself. If you bought a used ECM from a boneyard would you have to have it flashed?
Built Not Bought #482

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
tonythehazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #51
Bl4cK_kNiF3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

any chance it could be related to a neutral safety switch? it wont start unless its in neutral or park and you said it only dies in drive. Im not sure if its related, but noone mentioned it and i thought it might make a difference.

sounds like a real irritating problem.. best of luck to you man!
Green Jeep Club Member #360
Bl4cK_kNiF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #52
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its not the ECM with the forward or reverse issue being the symptom. The jumpers were to insure that the power was not being dropped by the PCM to the relay contols. The next thing I was going to have you try is to jump power to those real slots directly from the battery. After I reread your post I am wondering if I am looking in the right area. You still have the 11 code that is being set everytime this occurs. You need to make sure.

Clear and check the faults, make the event occur and then recheck.

Next thing is to do a quick crawl underneath the heap and disconnect the harness that goes to the trans. Also in the PDC remove fuse 5 - its a 10 amp for the trans. That effectively isolates the trans. Start and see if you still have the issue.

Last is the final step for the relays that eliminates the steering column. Jumper both the fuel pump and ASD relays output terminals that you jumpered before directly to the battery at the same time. I know its a little intimidating but the only thing you are eliminating the entire steering column.

One of these will make a difference and will tell you where to look next.

Oh yeah...disconnect the nuetral saftey switch after its running....LOL wont start without it

Last edited by Que89YJ; 10-23-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #53
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Thanks for the input TSE, i'll definatly look into replacing the ignition switch where the key goes into, apparently there is some other fuse or switch or something that a lot of people have go out on them? The only switch I know is the one the key plugs into... is the culperate, the column shifter is right next to it, perhaps the ignition is shorting our or something as I reach drive, where it doesnt in reverse, neutral, or park...
There is an ignition switch on top of the steering column under the dash, it has contacts in it that are notorious for going bad in a Jeep due to it being open to the elements. The wires that go to it go to your ignition and all other things electrical, I mentioned this on page one. It and it's wires also run close to the shift linkage that I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by 5.7YJ; 10-23-2009 at 09:08 AM..
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #54
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anks guys I'll look at it all tonight around 7 and through tomorrow too.. I think you guys have about got it figured out.. I'll perform the tests and get back with the results. Thanks again.
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #55
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I predict you're gunna hit a home run soon!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #56
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

sure hope so Joe I'm telling you lol I've never seen anything like this in my life lol. Only two more hours to go here at work and I'll head home and try to slip a few more tests in.
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #57
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

An ignition switch is only about 12 or 13 dollars and dosen't take that long to replace, might be worth a try. And while you have it out and disconected from the column, you can get a good look at the wires under there.
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #58
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
An ignition switch is only about 12 or 13 dollars and dosen't take that long to replace, might be worth a try. And while you have it out and disconected from the column, you can get a good look at the wires under there.
I'm at work right now so I can't look for myself but does anything need to be removed to access the switch you are talking about? The guage pod? Steering wheel? Etc?
Unread 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #59
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

im curious

but for diagnosing purposes mostly and the process of elimination..

jump the distributor, using pair of jumper wires

1) from the pos of the battery to the pos of the dist, check which is pos before you jump it

2) neg from battery to engine block

then test it and see if itll die, and come back and tell us

just remember, you wont be able to shut off the engine using the key until you pull the jumpers off..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #60
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Crap I'm not going to be able to test any of the above posts until tomorrow afternoon... I'll have the results for all the above tests here by tomorrow night for sure. Q89YJ and ghost183, i'll be trying all of your suggestions tomrrow, so dont think your efforts to help me out are going unnoticed, I just cant work on it until tomorrow around 2pm Eastern and will have the results up ASAP, along with the youtue video of the jeep doing what it's doing, and hopefully a video showing it FIXED!!!

Thanks again guys for helping me out, you have no idea how much this stuff helps, I had no idea where else to turn before posting this problem...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.