Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery!

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
QBCoach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had an 88 bronco II and it did the same exact thing to me...and it was due to coroded battery terminals...granted that was over 10 years ago but if thats not it go for the distributor! Welcome and good luck...make sure that you let us know how you make out!

94 YJ- work in progress

"If it ain't broke...just give it time!"
QBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys so much for the responses. I have already seperated the Crank Position wires going from the sensor up to the firewall, however at the firewall two wires go left, and one goes right, I would assume the two left ones go over to the relay box, and the one that goes right, to the computer... The wires looked REALLY clean up to that point, i'll get a labler and pull the whole harness out in order to completely seperate the crank sensor wires, I cant follow them any further because they are burried in the 3" thick bundle of wires and tugging on em' is probably only going to make other crap mess up.... I saw a couple of posts about the distributor, however I replaced the entire distributor after the 2nd Crank Sensor didn't fix the problem, it ran for a good 30 minutes, drove home, went out later to go into town and the problem was back, every 50 feet she shuts off... So entire distributor is new and i know for a fact the automatic shutdown relay is alright because the book says the horn relay is the same as the ASD relay so I swapped them and the horn works and the problem is still there...

I guess i'll flollow those Crank wires the rest of the way and completely seperate it from the harness? And I saw someone mention the fuel pump wires as well? Would issues with the fuel pump cause intermitant turn off's of the engine and cause the jeep to not start for about 2 or 3 minutes (religiously)? Also, why the hell can I drive in reverse and not have it happen but when I go foward it's almost instant?

Thanks again guys for the help thus far!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol one more thing I saw two people mention the battery terminals, I just replaced the terminals themselves with those cheap marine terminals that have paint on them, so I DEFINATLY need to file them to the metal so they have good connection, HOWEVER wouldn't that make the jeep not start sometimes? I mean, if I've got the alternator running while the jeeps running, cant you take the entire dang battery out and not have it effect anything? I'm heading out to clean the terminals tonight but I'm confused as to how intermitant disruption of the terminals can effect the engine if it's being powered by the alternator...

Thanks again guys!
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I cleaned the terminals and got em filed down to bare metal, there is no way that connection is suffering... Man this is the dreaded "engine shuts off while driving" grimlin that iv'e seen so many people get, most peope just replace crank sensor... Sure sucks, like I said before, I love this jeep, but it's getting hopeless.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does your fuel guage peg out on full when this happens? If so you have a bad ground wire to the fuel pump. The fuel guage and fuel pump use the same ground wire terminated at the parking brake mount bolt. This is a common problem.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #21
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney View Post
Does your fuel guage peg out on full when this happens? If so you have a bad ground wire to the fuel pump. The fuel guage and fuel pump use the same ground wire terminated at the parking brake mount bolt. This is a common problem.
By "peg out" do you mean zero out to empty? In that case, I havn't checked, i'll post a reply here in a few.

Thanks for the post.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You just said "peg out to full" my bad lol scratch that question.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #23
m_t_r_86
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
lol one more thing I saw two people mention the battery terminals, I just replaced the terminals themselves with those cheap marine terminals that have paint on them, so I DEFINATLY need to file them to the metal so they have good connection, HOWEVER wouldn't that make the jeep not start sometimes? I mean, if I've got the alternator running while the jeeps running, cant you take the entire dang battery out and not have it effect anything? I'm heading out to clean the terminals tonight but I'm confused as to how intermitant disruption of the terminals can effect the engine if it's being powered by the alternator...

Thanks again guys!
I don't want to sound like a father yelling at his son right now, but disconnecting the battery from the vehicle while it is running could seriously shock your entire electrical system. the only time it is ok to disconnect the battery from the car when it is on is when the alternator DOES NOT have a voltage regulator built in to it.

And as far as your problem, it really sounds like a bad ground wire. and here's my reasoning: When the jeep is in reverse, it works fine, but when it's in drive it quits all the time. Now the chances of a mechanical error involving the trans and ignition in the same problem is near impossible. So it would be electrical. Since the ignition doesn't directly wire up to any part on transmission at all except for your speedo and reverse switch through a ground, that would be the first place i would look. make sure you dont have a wire hanging on your exhaust there. and then do the same back by the gas tank. and the third thing i would do, is look at where the CPS mounts up to. check the metal and make sure it has a stable ground.

Your problem definately sounds like a really bad ground and unfortunatly its one of the hardest electrical problems to fix because it encompasses your entire vehicle.

good luck and keep us posted!!!
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #24
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Broken ground wire that disconnects in forward gear? Reverse light wire shorting on the exhaust (had that in several XJs)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #25
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. The Jeep would shut down at random, and I couldn't figure it out. Instead of throwing parts at it, I had my mechanic take a look. He tested everything, drove it, and even tried to make it shut down and stop starting, but it would start right back up. Nothing worked, so he told me to go get a new ECU.

I got the ecu and that actually worked. The YJ runs great now and never shuts down on its own. I was chasing the problem for a while, but the ecu turned out to be the only thing wrong. I'm glad I didn't waste more money by replacing random sensors.

Good luck and my advise is find a good, honest mechanic. They will hunt down problems with the vast amount of tools they have, and you will get your money's worth by not throwing parts at the Jeep, which will add up fast.
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #26
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_t_r_86 View Post
I don't want to sound like a father yelling at his son right now, but disconnecting the battery from the vehicle while it is running could seriously shock your entire electrical system. the only time it is ok to disconnect the battery from the car when it is on is when the alternator DOES NOT have a voltage regulator built in to it.
I definatly dont disconect the battery while the jeep is running lol, but I was just commenting that "technically" the jeep could run without battery hooked up after it's started, it was more for example purposes.

I'll definatly start having a look for the reverse switch ground, where is it grounded out at? Thanks again for the input. And as for the ECM autozone wont replace mine its a "repair and return" and I dont really want to pay 260.00 to have someone "repair and return it" when technically they can wipe it down, say its good, and send it back... But as a last resort I may replace it.
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a couple of quick trobleshooting ideas. Right now you are not sure how the event is occuring or where in the system. The ASD feed powers just about everything you need to run the Jeep except the fuel pump. Put a jumper across the ASD relay power to force it to stay powered. If the problem doesnt change try the same with the fuel pump relay. It will tell you if the problem is system power or a control thing. Report back on what happens. The jumper should go across the relay terminals that are perpindicular to each other.

The battery disconnect is called a load dump. If you do the battery disconnect while it is running the surpression to surges the battery gives to electrical load demand is gone. It is done as part of testing for all Chrysler vehicles. The damage risk is very minimal as long as all other elctrical loads are off(ie. wipers, radio, lights, etc.) and the vehicle is at idle.

We can figure out whats going on. It just needs to be narrowed down as to where your system is losing it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #28
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Que89 I jumped the ASD relay terminal with no end results, same with the fuel pump... I'm not sure what that means other than that those relays are working? I still get about 30 feet and the jeep shuts off in drive, yet I can go reverse no problem... I'm going to put a youtube video up soon showing me sitting there burning out in reverse for over 30+ seconds in the dirt, then i'll switch to drive and do the same, and she will cut out after about 5 maybe 10 seconds, with the rpm's the same for both trials...

freaking WIERD!
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #29
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also you guys told me to check the ground for the reverse lights switch and the speedo ground, you mentioned it's where the parking break hooks up, I dont have an ebrake it mine, it was broken so I took it out lol, i live in florida and we have ZERO hills around here, i'll be putting it back in once I get the ford 9" in... Anyway, is the ground along the frame rail beside the t-case/transmission? Or is it grounded inside the vehicle somewhere? I cant find the reverse light wiring that runs from transmission to the rear...
Unread 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #30
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Also you guys told me to check the ground for the reverse lights switch and the speedo ground, you mentioned it's where the parking break hooks up, I dont have an ebrake it mine, it was broken so I took it out lol, i live in florida and we have ZERO hills around here, i'll be putting it back in once I get the ford 9" in... Anyway, is the ground along the frame rail beside the t-case/transmission? Or is it grounded inside the vehicle somewhere? I cant find the reverse light wiring that runs from transmission to the rear...
Right there may be the problem. How long ago did you remove the parking brake pedal assembly? On my 91 one of the bolts that holds on the parking brake pedal has a wire attached to it with a ring. That is the fuel pump ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.