Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep shuts off while driving, HELP PLEASE! Huge mystery!

The Problem
Hey guys i'm new to the blog, and i'm getting despirate. I've got a 92' wranger YJ with the 4.0, and i've got an issue with it shutting off while driving, i'll drive maybe a quarter mile and the engine just dies, no stumbling or anything, just off, like someone flipping a switch. Sometimes I can get a quarter miles, other times I get 10 feet out of the driveway.

What i've done so far...
From what i've seen in the threads the Crank Position Sensor (CKP) causes this almost 100% of the time, problem is, I put a new one in there, jeep worked for 3 days then started doing it again, so I bought another 40.00 one from advance and it had no effect, then I bought the 120.00 one strait from the dealer in fear of other's being crappy parts, no change... I replaced the entire distributor including cap, rotor, coil, stator, plugs, wires, and EVERYTHING else electrical, i've taken appart the relay box to check for burnt wires/corrosion, nothing, I replaced the Automatic Shutdown Relay, the Crank position sensor, the MAP sensor, and throttle position sensor, NO CHANGE... I've checked the fuel pressure and even hooked up a $800 computer to my jeeps ECM and it only gave me code 11... which for a YJ is just "ignition" for anything past 96 it referes to the crank sensor...

More wierdness...
The damn thing doesnt seem to cut off when I ride in reverse, I drove for over a mile in reverse and never had it cut out once, no matter the acceleration differences... However in drive, if I floor it or go slow, it will shut off every freaking time... The thing will idle all day until it runs out of gas, and you can hold the rpm's at whatever you want as long as your holding the brake, are in park, or neutral... and it will run out of gas befor it ever cuts out...

I've been dealing with this for over a month now, and this thing is my daily driver, i'm weeks away from having to get another vehicle and i love this jeep I dont want to lose it.

HELP!

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

have you replaced ignition module?
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
The Problem
Hey guys i'm new to the blog, and i'm getting despirate. I've got a 92' wrangler YJ with the 4.0, and i've got an issue with it shutting off while driving, i'll drive maybe a quarter mile and the engine just dies, no stumbling or anything, just off, like someone flipping a switch. Sometimes I can get a quarter miles, other times I get 10 feet out of the driveway.

What i've done so far...
From what i've seen in the threads the Crank Position Sensor (CKP) causes this almost 100% of the time, problem is, I put a new one in there, jeep worked for 3 days then started doing it again, so I bought another 40.00 one from advance and it had no effect, then I bought the 120.00 one strait from the dealer in fear of other's being crappy parts, no change... I replaced the entire distributor including cap, rotor, coil, stator, plugs, wires, and EVERYTHING else electrical, i've taken apart the relay box to check for burnt wires/corrosion, nothing, I replaced the Automatic Shutdown Relay, the Crank position sensor, the MAP sensor, and throttle position sensor, NO CHANGE... I've checked the fuel pressure and even hooked up a $800 computer to my jeeps ECM and it only gave me code 11... which for a YJ is just "ignition" for anything past 96 it referes to the crank sensor...

More wierdness...
The damn thing doesnt seem to cut off when I ride in reverse, I drove for over a mile in reverse and never had it cut out once, no matter the acceleration differences... However in drive, if I floor it or go slow, it will shut off every freaking time... The thing will idle all day until it runs out of gas, and you can hold the rpm's at whatever you want as long as your holding the brake, are in park, or neutral... and it will run out of gas befor it ever cuts out...

I've been dealing with this for over a month now, and this thing is my daily driver, i'm weeks away from having to get another vehicle and i love this jeep I dont want to lose it.

HELP!
Code#11 can be either the Crankshaft position sensor (which you already replaced) or the camshaft position sensor (a.k.a. distributer pick-up sensor) located in the base of the distributer. Either of these will cause the very problem you are experiencing. Until code#11 is resolved, your problem will remain. I would suggest to check the connector at the distributer base for this sensor. If good, then I would recommend to replace the entire distributer with a rebuilt assembly. It only costs a few bucks more than the sensor alone, and the rebuilt dizzy should already have a new sensor in it.
Good luck!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ it did code ignition right? agreed, follow the trail, this is an electrical gremlin.
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How's the wiring? It definitely sounds like a CPS issues, but you've already tried replacing the sensor. It could be a loose connection, wire starting to split, corded leads, etc. The wire is pretty easy to get to in my jeep. I would take it out, inspect the contacts, and do a continuity test on each lead.

If the ECU doesn't get a signal from the CPS, it kills the ignition.

I hope that you figure this out. I honestly can't think of something else that would cause the same symptoms.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
have you replaced ignition module?
Please realize that '91-'95 there is no ICM. '90's and earlier are different animals.
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Short/pinch in fuel pump wire, caused this for me Also check the ground on the e-brake bracket.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would also consider a faulty ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay. These can be easily checked & cheaply replaced and thus eliminated from the list of culprits.

Here is the PDC (Power Distribution Center) where the ASD relay is located.

Here is the relay, it's the middle one in my '91 YJ.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Please realize that '91-'95 there is no ICM. '90's and earlier are different animals.
my bad... I am still learning
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also know that you can check your own codes without resorting to a $800 dollar external diagnostic tool. Check the FAQ on how to do this. If you need more instructions on how to do this, then don't hesitate to ask.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
my bad... I am still learning
All good! That is what the forum is for.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I would also consider a faulty ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay. These can be easily checked & cheaply replaced and thus eliminated from the list of culprits.

Here is the PDC (Power Distribution Center) where the ASD relay is located.

Here is the relay, it's the middle one in my '91 YJ.

Max
Good suggestion, but the OP has a code#11 stored, which will in effect disable the ASD due to a loss of the synch signal at the ecm. If code#11 is successfully addressed and the shutting off problem remains, then this is a good place to look.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check the ignition switch on the steering column, I've seen many of these with coroded contacts and cause lots of headaches.
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

the battery cables did this to us last year, all you had to do was touch the wires coming off the battery and the thing dies like the key was turn off., it was at both end on ours
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Good suggestion, but the OP has a code#11 stored, which will in effect disable the ASD due to a loss of the synch signal at the ecm. If code#11 is successfully addressed and the shutting off problem remains, then this is a good place to look.
Again, you're dead-on! I must've missed the CEL #11 code part.

I went back through the thread & re-read it all, I also agree with the complete distributor replacement (if necessary) versus just the sensor.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.