Jeep shut down in deep puddle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep shut down in deep puddle

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 12-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Berzerk

Jeep shut down in deep puddle

I went mudding yesterday and I went through the same puddle about 5 times, and then the last time I went through and my jeep completely shut down and refused to start, even after getting pulled out. The water was up to my tire and exhaust was under and that's what i thought the problem was at first. When I got towed home I checked under the hood and there was water in the distributer and the air filter was soaked so I took the air filter out and I'm letting it dry. I cleaned the distributer cap and dried that also and then I let it sit over night to dry a bit and I tried to start her this morning but it would crank just doesn't turn over. Any suggestions?

Berzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You need to fill out your profile. We have no clue what you are driving
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if the air filter was soaked, that means water went through it, and if water went through it, that means it went where air was supposed to be- in the engine. which can mean thrown rods and all other sort of hydrolock problems.
89yjislanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

couple of suggestions here, completely winging some ideas,

first get that air filter dry,
pull your spark plugs,
and see if the engine will rotate...
if you here some craziness there or it wont spin at all then that's real bad.
then see if your spark plugs will still spark, they should, but you might want to replace them if they are old...
then once you are sure you have pushed all the water out,
try and fire it up,
if it doesn't fire you might not be getting gas,
which could be as simple as a shorted relay that you soaked...

there are a lot of options here-

give us some more details (and especially fill out your profile, you'll hear that a few times as you see)
and we can get a lot closer.
Project #1- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Berzerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit
couple of suggestions here, completely winging some ideas, first get that air filter dry, pull your spark plugs, and see if the engine will rotate... if you here some craziness there or it wont spin at all then that's real bad. then see if your spark plugs will still spark, they should, but you might want to replace them if they are old... then once you are sure you have pushed all the water out, try and fire it up, if it doesn't fire you might not be getting gas, which could be as simple as a shorted relay that you soaked... there are a lot of options here- give us some more details (and especially fill out your profile, you'll hear that a few times as you see) and we can get a lot closer.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I read about taking the plugs out and blow the water out. How do I go about doing that?
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

haha, well again, first get your air filter out, and dry that puppy off,
If you got water in the engine, you need to get it out, so a wet filter is just inviting more in,
so open the filter case, get the filter out, dry off everything you can see~

then start pulling the plugs,
first remove the wire that goes to each, mark the wire where it came from, then grab a spark plug socket and unscrew each, again, mark where the plug originated,
once you got all eight out, hop in the drivers seat and turn it on-
of course without spark the jeep won't start, it will just cycle, pulling air and gas in, and pushing everything out.
once all the water is gone, screw the plugs back in and if that was the problem then it should start,
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Berzerk

Quote:
haha, well again, first get your air filter out, and dry that puppy off, If you got water in the engine, you need to get it out, so a wet filter is just inviting more in, so open the filter case, get the filter out, dry off everything you can see~ then start pulling the plugs, first remove the wire that goes to each, mark the wire where it came from, then grab a spark plug socket and unscrew each, again, mark where the plug originated, once you got all eight out, hop in the drivers seat and turn it on- of course without spark the jeep won't start, it will just cycle, pulling air and gas in, and pushing everything out. once all the water is gone, screw the plugs back in and if that was the problem then it should start,
thanks a lot for your help, I very much appreciate it! I'll let you know how it makes out
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

anytime, good luck!
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
then start pulling the plugs,
first remove the wire that goes to each, mark the wire where it came from, then grab a spark plug socket and unscrew each, again, mark where the plug originated,
of course without spark the jeep won't start, it will just cycle, pulling air and gas in, and pushing everything out.
once all the water is gone, screw the plugs back in and if that was the problem then it should start,
I'd be willing to bet he is missing at least 2 plugs or possible even 4 plugs.
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I'd be willing to bet he is missing at least 2 plugs or possible even 4 plugs.
ah good call,
I was thinking of mine-
I can just see someone now~ "where the heck are the other four at?!"
Id be the guy on the side
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Berzerk

Quote:
ah good call, I was thinking of mine- I can just see someone now~ "where the heck are the other four at?!" Id be the guy on the side
I might as well just replace all of them and the missing ones if any are missing right. Hahaha
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Berzerk

Quote:
haha, well again, first get your air filter out, and dry that puppy off, If you got water in the engine, you need to get it out, so a wet filter is just inviting more in, so open the filter case, get the filter out, dry off everything you can see~ then start pulling the plugs, first remove the wire that goes to each, mark the wire where it came from, then grab a spark plug socket and unscrew each, again, mark where the plug originated, once you got all eight out, hop in the drivers seat and turn it on- of course without spark the jeep won't start, it will just cycle, pulling air and gas in, and pushing everything out. once all the water is gone, screw the plugs back in and if that was the problem then it should start,
btw it's a v4 so it only has 4 spark plugs right?
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerk View Post
btw it's a v4 so it only has 4 spark plugs right?

It's a straight 4. Not a V, and yes - 4 plugs.

When you change the plugs, change them one at a time so you don't accidentally criss cross wires. Also, hit the wire with a shot of compressed air to clear out any water from the wire and give it a shot of dielectric grease to keep any future water off the contact points. You'll want to take this opportunity to pull the other end of the plug wires and blow them out and dielectric grease them as well.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Been there, done that, lost a tshirt.

Mine didn't shut down electrically though. Chloe got a belly full of water and she didn't want to move after that (flooded trans). Live and learn. Hopefully you get everything squared away ok.
picture-014.jpg  
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
yj94ne
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
Definitely do NOT have anyone peak their heads into the engine bay while you are turning it over....that water shoots out with some massive pressure!!! Been there, done that...lol
yj94ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.