Jeep Runs Great - What Am I Doing Wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Runs Great - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Runs Great - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Other than a minor oil leak from the rear main seal or oil pan gasket and the oil fill cap my Jeep runs great. Should I be concerned?

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Something is definitely wrong here. To correct the problem and feel better about your situation, I would at minimum, disconnect one plug wire. If you are still concerned, disconnect two.

But you shouldn't be overly worried. You have your oil leaks to fall back on.

Hang in there! Remember: Great Running is no more than a passing phase.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nah. i never had a problem with jeeps not running great. every once in a while you have to change an alternator or water pump, sometimes the starter too but for the most part, they always run great
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

most of the time, for me, my jeep fails to run great when i go out and screw around with something on the engine
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would start by randomly replacing parts that could easily be tested to see if they are working. Nothing beats throwing money at the problem of a perfectly good running jeep.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Now, go fix that troublesome squeak, or that annoying rattle!
EABiker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm really in trouble, I replaced my rear main seal so my jeep doesn't even leak oil. I go out every day and look underneath, but no drips, I need to replace something or I feel unwanted.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can fix this problem with a V8 project, or at least an axle swap. Then you'll have plenty to work on!
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Buy another Jeep.

The first one will be jealous soon enough and start acting up just for attention.
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry you have a great running Jeep YJ. It does happen to the best of us. My advice is that you need to plan ahead to keep your Jeep barely running and in need of replacement parts. Here's the YJ Forum Top 5 Tips to help ensure you always have either a poorly running YJ or at least something that needs doing daily:

1. Throw Out Your Multimeter - not having a basic electrical analysis tool like this will help ensure that when you suspect something is wrong, you can go down the list of sensors and fuses, replacing them one at a time, until you sense something is right.

2. Use Cheap Parts - there is no better way to ensure that the throw out bearing you just replaced will need to be replaced within the year than using the absolute cheapest parts. This holds true for after market sensors and grade 5 bolts as well. If you always want something to do (again) use cheap parts.

3. Mod Madness - many here suffer from this debilitating disease, upgrading or modifying for the sake of upgrading or modifying. Do you absolutely need angry eyes? Naw.. but they look soo cool! How about playing the Treasure Hunt game at the local pic-a-parts to cobble together a Taurs fan mod? That will definitely occupy your time. Now mind you, some (but not all) of these favorite mods are useful and practical, but what you really get is the continual tweaking, adjusting, and scrounging - and that's what keeps you busy. Your jeep may run just fine, but as long as you have something to mod or replace, it's as if it runs horribly.

4. Don't Listen - If you insist upon only doing what's necessary to fit your style/terrain off roading and you refuse to use cheap parts, your only other hope to keep yourself busy with projects and a poorly running YJ is to post up questions here on the forums and then insist on replacing parts that are unrelated to the fixes posted in response. If everyone is telling you to test your TPS, simply state you are replacing your O2 sensor. When that doesn't work, replace random parts - avoiding the actual fix - and you'll be busy for decades.

I know what it's like to have a sound, well running YJ. I was forced to drive it nearly every day. I solved my issue in a rather unique way - I bought a basket case XJ to fix and flip.. two months later and I haven't had a spare minute for my YJ.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't even have an oil leak.

My problem? My windshield washer reservoir. It build up pressure on warm days and pushes washer fluid all over the hood. Not sure how to fix. Was thinking of putting a pin hole in the cap.

That is my main issue right now.
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I don't even have an oil leak.

My problem? My windshield washer reservoir. It build up pressure on warm days and pushes washer fluid all over the hood. Not sure how to fix. Was thinking of putting a pin hole in the cap.

That is my main issue right now.
Wow! your jeep is peeing on your hood? You must really have pissed it off, that or it's marking it's territory in an original way.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If my Jeep is not leaking oil from somewhere I know something is wrong. I just grab a hammer and screw driver and punch a hole in the oil pan....she always runs so much better.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I'm sorry you have a great running Jeep YJ. It does happen to the best of us. My advice is that you need to plan ahead to keep your Jeep barely running and in need of replacement parts. Here's the YJ Forum Top 5 Tips to help ensure you always have either a poorly running YJ or at least something that needs doing daily:

1. Throw Out Your Multimeter - not having a basic electrical analysis tool like this will help ensure that when you suspect something is wrong, you can go down the list of sensors and fuses, replacing them one at a time, until you sense something is right.

2. Use Cheap Parts - there is no better way to ensure that the throw out bearing you just replaced will need to be replaced within the year than using the absolute cheapest parts. This holds true for after market sensors and grade 5 bolts as well. If you always want something to do (again) use cheap parts.

3. Mod Madness - many here suffer from this debilitating disease, upgrading or modifying for the sake of upgrading or modifying. Do you absolutely need angry eyes? Naw.. but they look soo cool! How about playing the Treasure Hunt game at the local pic-a-parts to cobble together a Taurs fan mod? That will definitely occupy your time. Now mind you, some (but not all) of these favorite mods are useful and practical, but what you really get is the continual tweaking, adjusting, and scrounging - and that's what keeps you busy. Your jeep may run just fine, but as long as you have something to mod or replace, it's as if it runs horribly.

4. Don't Listen - If you insist upon only doing what's necessary to fit your style/terrain off roading and you refuse to use cheap parts, your only other hope to keep yourself busy with projects and a poorly running YJ is to post up questions here on the forums and then insist on replacing parts that are unrelated to the fixes posted in response. If everyone is telling you to test your TPS, simply state you are replacing your O2 sensor. When that doesn't work, replace random parts - avoiding the actual fix - and you'll be busy for decades.

I know what it's like to have a sound, well running YJ. I was forced to drive it nearly every day. I solved my issue in a rather unique way - I bought a basket case XJ to fix and flip.. two months later and I haven't had a spare minute for my YJ.

Perfect!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Wow! your jeep is peeing on your hood? You must really have pissed it off, that or it's marking it's territory in an original way.
Tired of my friends saying, "dude, your Jeep is leaking sumthin" and it turns out to be washer fluid.

What kind of mod to fix this? maybe a part from a Yugo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.