Jeep replacement (lifted) leaf springs & plowing snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep replacement (lifted) leaf springs & plowing snow

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Spiderxx

Jeep replacement (lifted) leaf springs & plowing snow

I have been looking over the leaf springs on my 87 jeep yj. They are looking flat and to me looking like a new install is in the near future.

I have been reading alot of reviews on the BDS, OME 2" - 2.5" spring lift but understand that they are soft leafs. I called ARB(OME) and spoke with a tech who recommended their CS036R Medium Load spring

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16...FW9p7AodbBoAiA
for all four corners of the jeep.

I also called the dealer to see what prices are on the OEM leafs which turns out to be just as expensive as the BDS & OME. Im not sure what the load capacity is of the OEM spring vs the BDS spring and OME Medium Load spring. I planned on calling the dealer and seeing if they had a rating or not on it.

I wanted to put a 2" or a 2.5" spring lift on it and I would like to have a set up that is good for plowing and comfy on the road( if thats possible or sorta comfy at the least). I have since found a nice used set of 31x10.50x15's for it and have yet to install them on the jeep. I like the 2.5" lift better since there looks to be a bit more room but I wasnt sure a 2.5" spring lift needed a Transfer case drop or brake line extentions which I would rather avoid if it does. Anyone know if it does?

Since I am using the jeep for plowing in the winter and running a 7' myers plow, which is certainly heavy, I am looking for advice on what spring would work great for me plowing and using the jeep onroad. I dont want to go with a soft spring if the spring isnt going to be able to hold the weight for plow use. Im not sure if BDS 2" or 2.5" or OME 2" or 2.5" springs will be able to withstand the plow weight without collapsing under the weight.

Has anyone else replaced their springs on their YJ and used it for plowing? Anyone use the BDS or OME spring with using the jeep for plowing?
Any and all advice is appreciated!!!!

Spring Lifts I am looking at and read they are the best. But wonder if any of the below spring lift is the actual height that you will receive? I dont want to put a 2.5" lift on and find out I got near 4" or have the spring to weak to use for the plow. Or have a kit that doesnt hold up long.

BDS 2" Spring kit
http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...4&yr=1987-1995

OME 2.5"
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_00X_B_PG.htm
But they recommended the medium load spring.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5058.htm

Other kits I was looking at but read not so great things about them. But would these be better for plow use?
Superlift 1.5" springs could probably use a .5" or 1" shackle lift to reach my goal of 2"/2.5" lift.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16203_021.htm

RE 2.5"

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...FUcV7Aod0moAFQ

Pro Comp 2.5
http://www.extremeterrain.com/procom...229&adtype=pla

Or any parts you can recommend to put a lift kit together that is more cost effective with better results.

Spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its going to be difficult to find springs that will perform good off road and be stiff enought to support your plow. Either way the quality of BDS, RE, or OME will better than your stock springs. I would stay away from PROCOMP and Superlift. You will not find too many complaints about OME or BDS both make quality products. BDS will warranty their springs if they sag on you.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

just curious, not that snow's a problem in dallas, with the plow you have plenty of weight in the rear?
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr
Its going to be difficult to find springs that will perform good off road and be stiff enought to support your plow. Either way the quality of BDS, RE, or OME will better than your stock springs.
+1
My RE heavy duty front springs (+2.5) are perfect for the weight of the plow, But when the plow was off for a brief period to use the YJ as a DD (while my JK was in the shop) it was a really rough ride!! The RE's are about 8 years old now and have held up very well. The fronts are heavy duty and the rears are regular.
image-1882432307.jpg

wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Spiderxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
Its going to be difficult to find springs that will perform good off road and be stiff enought to support your plow. Either way the quality of BDS, RE, or OME will better than your stock springs. I would stay away from PROCOMP and Superlift. You will not find too many complaints about OME or BDS both make quality products. BDS will warranty their springs if they sag on you.

I called BDS today and spoke with Jeremy. He said I should have no problems with the leafs and my plow set up. He also recommended the trimbren bumpstops so I dont get nose dive when the plow is picked up. All sounds good now, IF it all happens in reality? Im not sure. I would hope so as that is alot of money to spend to find out differently.

I recounted my front leafs today and I think I have the HD springs by chrysler as they are 6 in the front and 5 in the rear. The set up worked pretty decent from what the PO told me all about it. But I would like to put a 2" or 2.5" lift on it and get it to sit higher but still work as well as it does now. I dont do commercial plowing just my driveway which is fairly large but the plow isnt on the jeep full time or held up in the air when parked.

Do the BDS Springs come assembled with the center screw? Basically is it ready to install? No taking them some where to get all the leaves put together and then install?

Quote:
just curious, not that snow's a problem in dallas, with the plow you have plenty of weight in the rear?
The couple times I have used it this year it performed very well. No problems until the 4wd went out and the heater core started to leak on me. I just got a nice used set of 31's for it and noticed the springs on it so here I am.lol! But it did a nice job and I really didnt bust it up doing it.

wb2510 - Thanks for the response. I was looking at the RE kit as well. But that lifetime warranty is very attractive and hearing about the smoother ride when not used for plowing was also attractive. If the trimbren works at Jeremy from BDS states I think it should be a nice set up to get the best of both worlds. And to get me my 2" lift too. lol! BTW NICE Jeep. Is that green or black? Looks great.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

BDS springs come with the bolt already installed and you sh˘uldnt have to install new brake lines under 3.5" of lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...61/?highlight=
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
Spiderxx

Awesome news and thank you for that info and link.
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderxx
Is that green or black? Looks great.
Thanks! It has been a fun project. The body color is original dark met. green with a black hardtop.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Spiderxx

Looks great. Ya do a full restore on it?
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderxx
Looks great. Ya do a full restore on it?
Not a full restore because it was in pretty good shape when I bought it but I did do a mild mod on a few things. I made a brush guard for the windshield, an aluminum diamond plate dash, and stripped out the stock interior, installed new front seats, and rhino coated the interior surfaces. Then Installed removable rubber floor and bed mats and added marine speakers. Very bare bones. The engine and drivetrain was very good It really only needed new driveshaft universal joints, the RE leaf springs to support the plow, and all new brake lines. Runs like a champ now. The help from this forum made the DIYs easy.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Spiderxx

Sounds like some nice work that went into it to keep it up to par. I found this forum very quick when I searched. And yes very informative site. One of the best......
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
50FRONT
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have been using a lifted yj for the past 10 winters to plow my driveway and a 1500 ft paved road. My plow is also a 7 foot Meyers and the springs are 4" procomp. It handles the weight well but as you probably know, procomp springs are stiff. When you lift your jeep you will need to lower the bottom plow mount in order to keep the a-frame level so you can angle the plow. I usually keep 100 pounds of sand in the rear for ballast and I have a 33" tire hanging off the back.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.