Jeep problem: Check engine comes on, idle raises, smells like gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep problem: Check engine comes on, idle raises, smells like gas

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Hotimportcrx

Jeep problem: Check engine comes on, idle raises, smells like gas

1994 Jeep Wrangler
4 cylinder 116k
Check engine comes on, idle raises, smells like gas

Any ideas what this could be?

Hotimportcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What code are you getting?

usually these issues are related to vacuum leaks, intake or exhaust leaks and even a bad O2.

Other causes, more rare, but can happen. Fuel injection issue or a sensor issue. Need more info.

Pull the code.

91 4.0 stick. Posi Lok, Borla, 31s on steelies, Dem Bonz Shackles and lots of other junk on my junk.

Last edited by NJeepyj91; 07-18-2008 at 05:49 PM..
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
MissMurder
Enemy of all chicks

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Take it to an auto parts place, autozone etc. Have them run the code. Could your be TPS also. Ask me how I know

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #218

Just so you all know, If I think you're an ******* I will gladly tell you. I'm not your everyday girl, so don't expect me to act like one. And yeah, I do like it topless and dirty!

Quoted Jetscuh: "I really have to force myself to eat nuts. There are other forms of protein as well, but it can be hard making sure you get enough at times."
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
IRIDEKTM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can turn the key on off on off on and you will get blinking engine light codes. it will blink a certain amount of times close together for the first number, and then a pause, then blink again for the second number. Should come out with like 24 or 45 or 34 for example. Post those numbers up if you dont have a haines manual and ill check them out for you or if you do have a haines it has all the engine blinking codes in there.

Mine does that in my 4.0L and reading mostly o2 sensors and rich or lean mixture

good luck
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ssssh Angel. I'm dazzling them with my stupidity.

Really, I just want to get peeps into the mind set of the basics so they can save some cake.

YJs are Zen relaxation for me.

Back to Tech. I suspect your getting a 02 sensor code. Rich.

Outwornangel is giving some very good advice with the Autozone suggestion.

91 4.0 stick. Posi Lok, Borla, 31s on steelies, Dem Bonz Shackles and lots of other junk on my junk.

Last edited by NJeepyj91; 07-18-2008 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: respect
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.