jeep/pontiac swap ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep/pontiac swap ?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

thanks man. i like working on cars so much im surprised i never owned a jeep before. so much you can do to them !

PASKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #32
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Actually, my understanding is that the 79 miodel year Pontiacs used leftover 1978 blocks. So, it is a matter of semantics with the definition of the last year. And of course, the boat anchor 301 Pontiac was available later.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #33
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's true...but they WERE available in 1979...leftover or not. And your right, the 301 was a good waste of cast iron.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #34
highlander4x4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
To be honest it is federal law set by the EPA. I am a licensed state inspector in the state of MA. Would I fail it??? Probably not. BUT I just want the OP to understand if he spends the time and money doing this swap and goes to get it inspected...... And the inspector pays attention or is fussy......
You sure about that? EPA mandates converters based upon chassis year and vehicle classifications but I have never heard anything about the year of the engine. Emissions testing varies based upon state to state. My strange state has it in Northern Virginia and not the rest of the state.
highlander4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

quoted from a "friend" on another site....

It was once explained to me by a zone manager for the EPA.

MY UNDERSTANDING IS:

(A) Before the 1968 model year there is no restrictions.

(B) An older engine may not be installed in a LICENSED vehicle newer than 1968.

(C) A newer engine may be installed in an vehicle 1968 or newer, but for smog emission purposes, the vehicle then would be the year of the engine.

Examples of (B).

It would be unlawful to install a 1970 engine in a 1974 LICENSED vehicle. It would be lawful to install a 1970 engine in a 1974 non-licensed vehicle (race car, farm truck, etc.)

Example of (C):

It would be lawful to install a 1996 engine in a 1970 vehicle; but for emissions testing, the 1970 vehicle would have to pass 1996 emissions.

As stated earlier, THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING, BASED ON A CONVERSATION WITH AN EPA ZONE MANAGER, and is the philosophy we use in selling/modifying late model (1968 or newer) carburetors.

If you plan to do one of the above, WRITE to the EPA and get written authority for your specific request.
PASKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #36
Immer4Ursache
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is an old thread, but...
I have been wondering about this swap as well. I have a Pontiac 400 and have done some research on how easy it would be to put it in a Wagoneer. From what I've found the '68 to '71 Wags had Buick 350s with TH400 trans'. Even though the transmissions were old style BOC bolt patterns they had an adapter plate for the "new" Buick block. Bolting up a Pontiac block to that would be relatively simple, and since the exhaust would prob have to be fabbed anyways why not throw on an aftermarket converter on there to appease the EPA? My only question is this; the Buick and AMC engines had starters on the right side, while the Pontiac's is on the left. Will the starter get in the way of the running gear for the front axle? Any answer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Immer4Ursache is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.