jeep/pontiac swap ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep/pontiac swap ?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASKS View Post
my wife would be PISSED...!
All the more why you should just do it!!! Sounds like an awesome project to me!

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #17
levergun
1979 CJ5 

You could do it but it is ILLEGAL to put a motor older than the vehicle it's going in. According to fed. laws the motor being swapped in HAS to be newer than the vehicle it's going into. And since the 400 was done in 78...... They didn't make any YJ's in 78...... Something to think about.
Unread 08-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #18
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
You could do it but it is ILLEGAL to put a motor older than the vehicle it's going in. According to fed. laws the motor being swapped in HAS to be newer than the vehicle it's going into. And since the 400 was done in 78...... They didn't make any YJ's in 78...... Something to think about.
really ? i know hundreds of guys driving around in old pontiacs with even older engine blocks in them. the older ones were made stronger and are more sought after...
PASKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That maybe a state law,but that's the first time i heard of it bein a federal law,different laws for different states.

Makes me wonder about all these YJ's with older V8 blocks in them?
And all the legaly inspected vehicles on the road with much older blocks in them too.
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #20
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
of course i do its on the bird now. when i pull that 400 and put the 461 in it will have a lakewood blow proof on it. the bellhousing stays with the 400. dont know if i gots me the balls to do the swap. this poncho mill has less than 2k miles on it and would make that jeep a monster ! my wife would be PISSED i said when i sell that 400 i will take her to CABO. i changed my mind and want to put it in the jeep !
Glutten for punishment aint ya?..lol
You'll just have to come up with another idea to make her even happeir..that's all..lol

As far as the swap,i'd just take some measurments of the YJ engine bay and see just how tight it's gonna be in there with the poncho block.
Of course your gonna have to plan the whole drivetrain too,T/C,driveshafts,differentials and suspension to handle all the gutwrenching torque it produces
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #21
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It never ceases to amaze me that in a supposed free country that we are told we can't do something like put an older engine in a newer car...wouldn't stop me for a second. They can kiss my arse.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ninety nine percent of the employees at inspection stations dont have the knowlege or ability to determine the year of an engine anyway. I would need substantial proof of this alleged law. I have never heard of this being a state law, let alone a federal law.

Heck, based on attrition, I would guess that there are a TON of cars on the road with earlier engines in them. Engine remanufacturers dont keep tabs on the model years of the blocks they work with. Mechanics replacing blown engines dont care either.

I am highly skeptical of this.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
levergun
1979 CJ5 

To be honest it is federal law set by the EPA. I am a licensed state inspector in the state of MA. Would I fail it??? Probably not. BUT I just want the OP to understand if he spends the time and money doing this swap and goes to get it inspected...... And the inspector pays attention or is fussy......
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:21 AM   #24
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My feeling is that it should simply be able to pass the emissions for the year of manufacture. What difference does it make otherwise?

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #25
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

from what i am hearing from the pontiac crowd is that older cars are exempt (not sure what year it starts...might be state law) AND it only applies to emissions equipment not the "engine block"......
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #26
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

with the economy being the way it is and the future being very unsure in my industry i am worried about starting such a costly project right now. might have to shelve this one for a while. im lucky that i can still afford to own my 67 firebird and my 87 jeep as well as the spare motor i spent over 3,000.00 on. might have to sell one of the three to pay bills if my situation does not improve !
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #27
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
with the economy being the way it is and the future being very unsure in my industry i am worried about starting such a costly project right now. might have to shelve this one for a while. im lucky that i can still afford to own my 67 firebird and my 87 jeep as well as the spare motor i spent over 3,000.00 on. might have to sell one of the three to pay bills if my situation does not improve !
Hey PASKS, I feel your pain brother...I had to take a major pay cut at the start of this year & it kills me sometimes not to be able to further proceed at the pace I was previously but, I think my lucky stars I'm still employed & not on the looking side of the equation,Lol. I hope your situation improves. I would like to see your build of this project.

Kelly
OSYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...since the 400 was done in 78...
Just for the record, it was 1979.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #29
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

the stroker waiting a cam/valvetrain and installation.

461 stroker picture by PASKS - Photobucket

the 400 that could be a donor for the wrangler !

461 stroker picture by PASKS - Photobucket

Im low on cash !!
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #30
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your Firebird is beautiful!!!

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.