Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep paint questions.

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Beast89 
#1 ·
I was thinking about getting my JEEP painted, and was wondering what is a normal, fair price to have this done. I'd like to have it sanded down, a little 1 inch rust spot fixed up, and then the whole jeep painted a solid color, and then just clearcoated over. I don't need the rolls royce or lexus paint job here, I just want to get my decals removed, the body sanded or blasted, and it painted nicely. I just want to know what the local places are going to charge ahead of time so I know who is being fair and who isn't.

#2 ·
Yeah I could use the same info...

Not being a paint & body guy myself, I have no clue what that would cost and I need a paint job too.

Drew

Matusel3 said:
I was thinking about getting my JEEP painted, and was wondering what is a normal, fair price to have this done. I'd like to have it sanded down, a little 1 inch rust spot fixed up, and then the whole jeep painted a solid color, and then just clearcoated over. I don't need the rolls royce or lexus paint job here, I just want to get my decals removed, the body sanded or blasted, and it painted nicely. I just want to know what the local places are going to charge ahead of time so I know who is being fair and who isn't.

#4 ·
I checked into that same thing around here. In Canadian prices, I was quoted anything from $1000 to $6000.

After a while - rattle-cans start to look real good!

#5 ·
It's going to vary a lot based upon the type of paint, and the amount of prep work required. Acrylic enamel is alot cheaper than a PPG paint job, for example. PPG will last a lot longer though. The type of job effects the price also. Do you want them to just tape off what you don't want painted and shoot it, or do you expect trim and hardware to be removed, inside of hood and engine compartment to be painted, inside of door jams, etc. If you're repainting the same color, you will probably be able get away with only painting the "exposed exterior" If you're going with another color it will look strange when you open a door or pop the hood if you don't have them painted. In most cases, you get what you pay for.

Matusel3 said:

#9 ·
Matusel3 said:
I was thinking about getting my JEEP painted, and was wondering what is a normal, fair price to have this done. I'd like to have it sanded down, a little 1 inch rust spot fixed up, and then the whole jeep painted a solid color, and then just clearcoated over.
I did a lot of the prep, took off bumbers, flares, etc, no rust went with original color (red) in Acrylic enamel - $465 and it looks new again. I've had people ask if its a '04 but its an '88 with 215K on it.

#10 ·
JeremeYJ,
Taking it to the stealer never even occurred to me. Have you done that before?

Drew

acejeep said:
I did a lot of the prep, took off bumbers, flares, etc, no rust went with original color (red) in Acrylic enamel - $465 and it looks new again. I've had people ask if its a '04 but its an '88 with 215K on it.

#11 ·
What I'd like to do with mine is to disassemble it before painting. All pannels off of the doors and doors removed, all seats, carpet, dash removed. Roll bars removed. Hood removed, windshield removed, tailgate removed, and all body panels removed. Then have everything preped and painted seperatly, all hinges would be sandblasted, and painted/powder coated black, then the whole thing reassembled with new mouldings/seals and hardware.
. This would give an incredibly clean look, that would last a long time, and delay any rust from returning for a long while.

If I removed all the parts myself, and preped everything myself, the actual painting shouldn't be too much. Right? (right?)

#12 ·
I removed all of my parts too....flares, handles, mirrors, hood latches, etc.......It was worth the time to take everything off.....

if you don't..... they will mask around it and it will eventually start to peal from those areas.

$349 Maaco jobber!

#13 ·
I called Maaco and told him that I didn't want a Lexus paint job, but I want to have them remove 2 quarter sized rust spots, blast the whole thing, and paint it flat green. He said it's base price 325.00. I told him it was a Wrangler, he said base price 425.00. I told him it was a color change so he said 700.00. The price escalated when I said I wanted it all painted, so I told him to stop running around the bush, what is this going to cost. He said it would cost $2,000 before everything was said and done. This isn't a show jeep, but it is a daily driver, it needs to look presentable but not beautiful. Anyone near Rockford Illinois that wants to paint it? I'm more than willing to pay, and more than willing to help. :)

#14 ·
I just had my jeep painted yesterday and very luckly enough my girlfriend's fathers buddy has a autobody shop. I did all the prep work myself and the cost was $200 for the material and $100 for the labor. This is for a basecoat/clearcoat job too with Omni paint (cheaper PPG brand). But before I found that guy to paint my Jeep Macco was telling me $800, and a private shop said about $1500. I didnt have that kind of cash so I just kept on lookin or I will just going to try doing it myself... I dont know if its just me but a Jeep doesnt seem like it'd be a hard car to paint compared to others.... Yet the prices are so high:/

#15 ·
I am in the process now of preping my jeep. I have an '89 will a little rust here and there.

The Cheapiest way I found was this.....

I just yesterday sanded down to bare metal, got the rust out and sprayed heavy rust metal primer on it, three layers, different colors slowly coming to the color you want your jeep.

Note: Get Naval Jelly rust remover, works GREAT! They use it on the navy ships. I found that even though I couldn't see the rust, it was there under the painted surface, so I am taking everything down to metal and starting fresh. Because no matter how you paint it the rust will come thru. PS - it is a little time consuming but I believe if you are going to do something do it right to being with.

Then I use my color, white, heavy rust metal paint, two layers and then one coat of semi-gloss white, to give it a little shine.

Also, you have to let the paint dry a full 48 hours after the last coat to fully dry, or else it will smudge down to the primer.

I called Macco in my area and with exterior & jams the price STARTS at $300 and extra for a different color on hardtop. Watch for sales/coupons @ macco they run deals every once in a while.

Good Luck! Take pictures before and after too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.