Jeep only shifts when off -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep only shifts when off

6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRugged Ridge Products Promo Calendar - Promo Code 2016CAL

Unread 01-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
1989 YJ Wrangler 
Jeep only shifts when off

After driving for 20 min or so it gets harder and harder to go into gear. If I'm parked somewhere and have to do a 3 point turn I have to turn off the jeep when I stop to be able to get into first or reverse. What the hell is going on???

'89 YJ, 4.2L, ax-15, B&M shifter, 1" BL, TJ flares, '99 intake, '91 EFI, 5.0L explorer injectors, GenRight tank & stretch, 35" ProComp Xtreme muds, 52" chevy springs rear, 44044 Ranchos front.....
YJ4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
1990 YJ Wrangler 
Clutch is not releasing all the way. When the tranny is cold there is more drag to slow down the countershaft. When it gets warm that doesn't happen, so it is harder to shift.

Maybe your clutch master is low on fluid. That's the easy fix and if it is not that you will have to do a deeper dive.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
from here it gets rough
1993 YJ Wrangler 
I do concur with plym, I believe what you are describing is caused by a failing hydraulic system. Look for leaks from your clutch master or slave either inside the firewall under the dash where the rod comes thru from the clutch master, or dripping from the bellhousing from the internal clutch slave. And of course, check the fluid level in your clutch master cyl reservoir. I'm going to guess it will be low.

If you are able to range thru your gears fine with the engine off, and it doesn't want to shift at all when running, your problem isn't inside your tranny but likely hydraulic related.
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Resident Audio Guru
1994 YJ Wrangler 
x3 on clutch not releasing properly.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #5
1991 YJ Wrangler 
Yep ... what they said.^^^^ I experienced the same thing. New clutch master & slave cylinder and I was good to go!! Make sure you bleed it well or it will still act up. Air in the system compresses .. brake fluid doesn't. Good luck !
1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ, <-- My Jeep is a pickpocket!!
1984 Mustang GT Top 5-Speed <-- Running soon hopefully
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, 1994 Suzuki Katana 600, 1980 Yamaha XS650 <-- Ripped apart and under the knife .. Chopped, bobbed & mono shocked. I got too many toy$$$!!!
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.